Farro, tomato, and feta salad with lemon vinaigrette might be one of my favorite combos of all time. This salad is simple and doesn’t require much effort to put together. Best of all, it’s a great side dish for grilled meats and can be eaten warm or cold.
This salad is similar to my Quinoa Salad Recipe that was inspired by Jennifer Anniston’s salad. It has a similar lemon vinaigrette dressing, but this summer salad uses fewer ingredients and is a bit more economical to make.
What is Farro?
If you’re new to eating grains, this is one of the best whole grains to eat. Farro is considered an ancient grain from Mesopotamia. It’s great at filling you up, while keeping your blood sugars steady. It’s full of proteins, nutrients, and fiber. And since I’m diabetic, this is a good alternative to eating rice as a side dish, which tends to spike my blood sugar.
Farro, Tomato, and Feta Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette Ingredients
- Farro – The main ingredient in the salad, which gives the it a nice ‘chewy’ and nutty flavor.
- Tomatoes – Use Roma or cherry tomatoes. Make sure to remove seeds area in the Roma tomatoes.
- Feta – This gives the salad a nice tangy and salty flavor. Don’t skip this ingredient.
- Green onions – An optional ingredient, but I highly suggest using it to add flavor and for garnishing.
- Basil – Fresh basil is a must for a fresh flavor.
- Lemon – Mixed with olive oil, lemon helps give the salad a nice tangy and fresh summer flavor.
- Olive oil/Avocado oil – Since this is the base of the dressing, use a good olive or avocado oil.
- Pepper – Fresh ground pepper is best, but regular ground pepper works if you don’t have a pepper grinder.
- Salt – Optional and used if you feel the salad needs it. If making the salad ahead of time, taste it before serving to determine if you need to add salt.
How to Make Farro, Tomato, and Feta Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Step 1. Cook 1 cup of Farro according to the package directions. I used Bob’s Mills Farro and cook 1 cup of Farro in 8 cups of boiling water with 1 tsp. of salt for 30 minutes. Once cooked, drain the water from the Farro in a mesh strainer.
Step 2. While the Farro is cooking, chop cherry tomatoes into quarters to make 1 1/4 cups. Set aside. Chop the green onions to make 1/4 cup. Set aside. Chiffonade (cut in thin strips) the basil to make 3 tablespoons and set aside. Not shown, measure out 1/2 cup of Feta cheese and set aside.
Step 3. In a bowl or container, mix together 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Set this mixture aside.
Step 4. Add the cooked and drained Farro to the olive oil mixture with 1/2 cup of Feta, 1 1/4 cups of chopped tomatoes, basil, and green onions. Toss until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
Step 5. Serve warm or chilled. To chill, wait until the mixture has cooled before covering and placing in the fridge.
Note: If the salad is made a day ahead, the green color of the basil and green onions can dull. To spruce it up, garnish to top of the salad with a bit more basil and green onions for a prettier presentation.
What to Eat with Farro, Tomato, and Feta Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
Truth be told, this salad can be eaten alone as a light meal or snack. That being said, it pairs great with anything you would normally eat with rice or other starchy dishes…like grilled meats, 3-ingredient chicken wings, or honey sriracha salmon.
I hope you give this simple Farro, Tomato, and Feta Salad recipe a try. It’s a simple salad that’s packed with flavor. The fiber from the farro, the calcium and phosphorus from the feta, and good fats from the dressing make this a great option as a side or light meal.
- 1 cup farro, cooked to package directions
- 1 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped into quarters (see notes)
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 3 T. fresh basil, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup Feta
- Optional - salt to taste
- 3 T. olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 T. lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/4 tsp. ground pepper
- Cook 1 cup of Farro according to the package directions. I used Bob’s Mills Farro and cook 1 cup of Farro in 8 cups of boiling water with 1 tsp. of salt for 30 minutes. Once cooked, drain the water from the Farro in a mesh strainer.
- While the Farro is cooking, chop cherry tomatoes into quarters to make 1 1/4 cups. Set aside. Chop the green onions to make 1/4 cup. Set aside. Chiffonade (cut in thin strips) the basil to make 3 tablespoons and set aside.
- Prepare the lemon vinaigrette - Mix 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper in a bowl or container. Set this mixture aside.
- Add the cooked and drained Farro to the olive oil mixture with 1/2 cup of Feta, 1 1/4 cups of chopped tomatoes, basil, and green onions. Toss until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Serve warm or chilled. To chill, wait until the mixture has cooled before covering and placing the salad into the fridge.
- Cherry tomatoes can be substituted with Roma or regular hot house tomatoes. If using these varieties, remove as much of the watery seed portions as possible to reduce the salad from becoming soggy.
- The basil and green onions can dull in color if made a day ahead. To have a pretty presentation for a party, have extra chopped green onions and basil to garnish before serving. Additional salt may need to be added too, so make sure to taste before serving.
- 1/3 cup of small cubed cucumbers or pumpkin seeds can be added for added crunch. Adjust salt if needed.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
BOBS RED MILL Organic Whole Grain Farro, 24 OZ
Measuring Cups and Spoons Set, 6 Measuring Spoons Set and 5 Measuring Cup Set, Stainless Steel
OXO Good Grips 2-in-1 Citrus Juicer
100% Pure Avocado Oil, Keto and Paleo Diet Friendly, Kosher Oil for Baking, High-Heat Cooking (42.3 fl oz)
Pompeian USDA Organic Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil, First Cold Pressed, Perfect for Salad Dressings & Marinades, 16 FL. OZ.
Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Plastic Chopping Board Set of 4 with Non-Slip Feet and Deep Drip Juice Groove
Fine Mesh Strainers Set - 3 Sizes