Jazz up your summer hots dogs with this delicious Hawaiian Chili, which was inspired by the famous Zippy’s Restaurant Chili in Hawaii.
It’s time for the June Pin Challenge! The purpose of the Pinterest Challenge is to motivate us to not just pin, but to make it happen! This month’s challenge is all about summer or July 4th projects. The pin that inspired this recipe was the copycat Zippy’s Chili Recipe from Feeding My Ohana.
If you haven’t heard of Zippy’s Chili, it’s pretty well known in Hawaii. It’s not the typical chili as this one uses Portuguese sausage, bell peppers, and the secret weapon…mayo!
Hawaiian Chili Recipe
You may think of Chili as a fall or winter food, but in California it’s a summer food. If not for the virus situation, there would have been a bunch of chili cooks off in California starting in May through June. Hopefully, we’ll all be able to be out and about in 2021.
One of the reasons I wanted to make this chili is because my hubby’s mom used to work at Zippy’s and he loves the chili. Since we don’t live in Hawaii anymore, we have to buy frozen Zippy’s chili at our local Asian mart and it’s pretty expensive for a small box that feeds two people. So, without further ado, let’s get to the recipe!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 10oz. mild Portuguese sausage, finely chopped
- 3 slices thick bacon, thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup yellow or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 T. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 16oz can Bush's Best Chili Beans with Mild Chili Sauce, substitute with your favorite Chili Beans (undrained)
- 1 15.5oz. can kidney beans, undrained
- 2 8oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 tsp. powdered chicken stock
- 1/2 - 1 cup water, add more water for a looser soup
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. brown sugar, to taste
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T. ketchup or Heinz Chili Sauce
- 1 tsp. red wine vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 - 3 T. mayonnaise
- Prep all the ingredients before starting.
- In a large pot over medium high heat, brown hamburger. Use a potato masher or meat masher to break the meat into fine pieces. There shouldn't be any large chunks. Drain the meat. Return pot to the heat and add Portuguese sausage and bacon. Cook just until both the sausage and bacon are heated through. If there is an excess of oil, drain. Otherwise, the oil can be used to flavor the vegetables.
- Add the celery, onions, and bell peppers to the pot. Cook until onions become translucent.
- Lower the heat to medium. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano, and paprika. Cook just until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add in all remaining ingredients, except for the mayonnaise, into the pot. Heat for 10 minutes, occassionally stirring. Lower the heat to medium low, and simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Do not skip this - Right before serving, add in the mayonnaise and serve over rice.
- Serving sizes are with the addition of rice.
- Do not skip the mayonnaise or Portuguese sausage. These add the unique Zippy's chili flavor. Mild Portuguese sausage can be substituted with hot if you prefer more heat.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Cooks Standard 7-Quart Classic Stainless Steel Dutch Oven Casserole Stockpot with Lid
Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Plastic Chopping Board Set of 4 with Non-Slip Feet and Deep Drip Juice Groove, Easy Grip Handle, BPA Free, Non-porous, Dishwasher Safe
Farberware 5211438 Professional Heat Resistant Nylon Meat/Potato Masher
GOCTOS Potato Masher, 304 Stainless Steel
Large Cooking Spoon Basting Spoon Stainless Steel
Bush's Chili Beans: Red Beans in Mild Chili Sauce (Pack of 3) 16 oz Cans
For more Pinterest inspired projects from this month’s Pinterest Challenge hosts, check out the links below ↓
Now, let’s see what the other hosts have created ⇓⇓