This post was sponsored by Mizkan as part of an Influencer Activation for Forward Influence Network. All opinions expressed in my post are my own. #MizkanRiceVinegar #MizkanMirinSauce
Looking for a delicious and refreshing cold salad? Here’s a family favorite, daikon carrot cucumber salad, that’s super easy to make!
Lately, I’ve been preparing more Japanese-inspired dishes because my youngest son has been interested in his Japanese heritage and will be travelling to Japan in June. He is looking forward to the food and has been trying to make Japanese dishes on his own. Since he has been interested in learning more about the Japanese culture and food, I decided to make my mom’s daikon carrot cucumber salad, which is a combination of Japanese namasu and sunomono. Traditional namasu is usually made with daikon and carrots and is a dish that is served to bring in the New Year, while sunomonosunomo is a cucumber salad. My mother’s refreshing daikon carrot cucumber salad is a combination of both cold salads into one and is a wonderful way to get my kids to eat more vegetables!
When it comes to creating Japanese and Japanese-inspired dishes, using authentic flavors is the best way to bring the taste of Japan into any dish. That’s why, when I recreated my mom’s daikon carrot cucumber salad, I was really excited to use Mizkan, the #1 rice vinegar and ponzu brand in Japan*. Mizkan uses the finest ingredients and is a Japanese kitchen staple for both chefs and home cooks like myself. And until recently, Mizkan vinegars and sauces were only available in Japan, but is now available in select US stores to make enjoying authentic tasting Japanese flavors a breeze! So, if you want to add authentic tasting Japanese flavors to your dishes without flying to Japan, click here to see the availability in your area –>> Where to buy Mizkan.
*INTAGE SRI. Rice Vinegar Accumulated Sale Revenue 2014 – 2018.Refreshing cold daikon carrot cucumber salad
If you aren’t familiar with Mizkan Natural Rice Vinegar and Mirin, you can learn more about these authentic Japanese ingredients here –>> Mizkan Natural Rice Vinegar and Mizkan Mirin. Rice vinegar is great for making salad dressings, sushi, and marinades, while mirin provides rich flavor to dipping sauces, broths, marinades, and glazes. To see how I use both rice vinegar and mirin, head to my Salmon Tofu Salad recipe.
Now, let’s get to the daikon carrot cucumber salad recipe!
- 1 cup daikon, julienned
- 1/2 cup julienned carrots, julienned
- 1/2 cup cucumbers, thin sliced
- 1 T. Mizkan Natural Rice Vinegar
- 1 T. Mizkan Ponzu
- 1 - 1 1/2 tsp. soy, to taste
- 1 T. sesame oil
- optional - 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- thin cut nori
- 1 - 2 T. katsuobushi (dried bonito flakes)
- Peel about a 3" portion of daikon and julienne by hand or use a mandoline. Place daikon into a bowl of ice and water for about 15 minutes. Squeeze out the water with a paper towel and set aside.
- Peel a medium sized carrot and julienne by hand or use a mandoline. Place carrot into a bowl of ice and water for about 15 minutes. Squeeze out the water with a paper towel and set aside. Peel and remove seeds of 1/2 a cucumber. Thinly slice and gently squeeze out water with a paper towel. Set aside.
- Place all the dressing ingredients into a bowl and mix. Add the daikon, carrots, and cucumbers. Toss to coat with dressing.
- Before serving, sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, katsuobushi, and thinly cut nori strips*. If making ahead of time, chill the salad and garnish right before serving.
- I do not add sugar since I prefer a more tangy flavor. If you want a bit of sweetness, add 1/4 tsp of sugar and up to 1/2 tsp.
- If more dressing is needed, slowly add a tsp. of each dressing ingredient until you get the desired amount.
- Cut a small 1" square of nori into strips with kitchen shears.
- A lot of flavor comes from the kastuobushi flakes, do not skip this ingredient.
Mizkan Instagram Giveaway
To celebrate Mizkan’s introduction to the US market, they’re hosting an Instagram Giveaway!
ENTRY PERIOD: The Contest begins at 12:00 a.m. EST on Monday, January 20, 2020 and concludes at 11:59 p.m. EST on Friday, January 31, 2020. Entries submitted prior to or after the Promotion Period will be disqualified.
HOW TO ENTER:
- During the Contest Period, enter by doing the following:
- Post one (1) photo to your Instagram account and include a caption that explains why they love Asian food. Tag three (3) friends who love Asian food in their Instagram update (the “Entry”). Limit one (1) entry per person, per Instagram account.
- You must use the campaign hashtag #MizkanRiceVinegar #MizkanMirinSauce #MizkanFlavors in the caption of your photo and follow @MizkanFlavors on Instagram in order to be entered. They must have permission from the tagged/mentioned friends to use their names in connection with this Sweepstakes.
PRIZE: $100 check awarded to the winner sent from Forward Influence
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MizkanFlavors
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/MizkanFlavors/
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/Mizkan_Flavors/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/MizkanFlavors
- Website: http://bit.ly/2BrBhxQ