Need to use up those garden cucumbers, onions, and carrots? Use them up in this tasty vegetable potato salad recipe!
Last year, the aphids, caterpillars, and grasshoppers had a field day in my garden. They destroyed EVERY.THING, which made me extra determined that I would have a nice garden this year. I planted a little late in spring, but everything is flourishing and I couldn’t be happier! While everything in the garden is doing well, my 4 cucumber plants are producing like it’s nobody’s business!
Now, there are a lot of recipes that use cucumbers, but this vegetable potato salad recipe or Japanese potato salad is perfect for my potato salad loving family. In addition, if you have kids that don’t really like eating vegetables, this may be a good way to get them to eat them because it’s mixed in with the potatoes and isn’t overpowering. This can also be made with or without the addition of ham for a vegetarian version too!
- 2 Russet or baking potatoes, about 1 - 1 1/4 lb.
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sweet onions or shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup carrots, julienned
- 2 large eggs, boiled and chopped
- 1/3 cup ham, chopped - optional
- 1/2 cup Kewpie mayonnaise (Japanese mayo) or regular mayonnaise
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Kosher salt + additional salt for vegetables
- Skin potatoes and cut into thirds. Place cut potatoes in a large pot over high heat. Add water, so there is about an inch of water above the potatoes. Cook for about 15 minutes. With a fork, test each potato. If the fork goes through, immediately remove the potato to a large bowl. If there is a lot of resistance, cook for 3-5 minutes longer and test again.
- Once all the potatoes are cooked, mash them up, making sure to leave some small chunks. Don't over mash, it should not be smooth like mashed potatoes.
- In another pot over high heat, bring water to a boil. Add in two eggs, reduce heat to medium and cook for 13 minutes. Remove the pot from the stove, dump out the hot water and fill the pot with cold water to cool the eggs. When cooled, peel and coarsely chop. Set aside.
- While the potatoes and eggs are cooking, prep the vegetables. Slice the cucumber in half and remove the seeds with a spoon. Then, thinly slice the cucumber and liberally sprinkle with about 1 tsp. of Kosher salt. Set aside in a bowl for 10 minutes. Next, place in a strainer and rinse salt off cucumbers. Place rinsed cucumbers in a towel and ring out as much water as possible. Set aside.
- For the carrots, julienne the carrots as thin possible (paper thin) and sprinkle with about 1/2 tsp. of Kosher salt. Set aside in a small bowl for 10 minutes. Place in a strainer and rinse salt from carrots. Place rinsed carrots in a towel and ring out as much water as possible. Set aside.
- Slice the onions as thin as possible. If you want only a slight onion flavor, place the sliced onions in a towel or paper towel to squeeze out any liquid. If you don't mind onions, skip the squeezing.
- Chop ham into small 1/4" cubes. Set aside.
- To assemble, add cucumbers, carrots, onions, chopped egg, ham, 1/8 tsp. salt/pepper, and mayonnaise to the potatoes. Mix well to evenly incorporate all the vegetables. If more mayonnaise is needed, add 1 T. at a time till you get the consistency you like. Cover and place in the refrigerator for several hours to chill. Taste again and add more salt to taste. *
- Serve when chilled.
*Let the vegetable potato salad chill for several hours before adding more salt. Some of the salt from the vegetables and ham will mix into the potato salad and adding too much salt in the beginning can make the salad too salty.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Japanese Kewpie Mayonnaise - 17.64 oz. (Pack of 3)
Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt – Full Flavor, No Additives and Less Sodium - Pure and Natural Since 1886 - 26 oz
Starkitchen Potato Masher Stainless Steel (1pcs)
Mandoline Slicer Vegetable Potato Slicer, Julienne Slicer, Onion Cutter, With Stainless Steel Adjustable Blade. Cut Resistant Gloves Included.
12 Piece Plastic Nesting Bowls Set includes 6 Prep Bowls and 6 Lids, Microwave Safe Mixing Bowl Set
Santoku Knife - imarku 7 inch Kitchen Knife Ultra Sharp German HC Stainless Steel