Holiday Decoration Storage Ideas & Tips
I’m looking forward to putting away all my holiday decorations. Not because I’m a Scrooge, but because I can’t wait to organize them! You see, prior to 2013, I didn’t put much thought into organizing my holiday decorations because our tree only had two main colors; red and gold.
Then last year, I changed our tree to blue and gold. Since it was a small change, I didn’t think to organize my ornament boxes and haphazardly threw everything into the same containers. Definitely NOT the best way to organize, which is probably why it took so long for me to decorate this year.
To help make next year’s holiday decorating less time-consuming, I’ve gathered some great holiday decoration storage ideas from fellow bloggers that recycle or use things you already have around the house.
Ornament Storage Ideas
I think ornament storage is currently my biggest challenge. I have a lot of unusually shaped fragile ornaments, so I wrap my ornaments in tissue and place into a large plastic box. Below are some ideas for custom ornament storage boxes that work for the basic round or non-fragile ornaments. Have you used any of these ideas or something similar for your ornament storage?
- Tool Time Tuesday…Recycled Ornament Storage @Sew Many Ways
- How to Organize Christmas Ornaments @Decor Adventures
- Make Your Own Christmas Ornaments Storage Box @One Good Thing by Jillee
- Creative Christmas Ornament Storage @Make Live Lovely
- Cheap and Easy DIY Christmas Ornament Storage! @Craptastic
Some other tips I’ve seen for ornament packing material is bubble wrap, coffee filters, tissue paper, felt, and batting.
Wreath & Christmas Tree Storage Ideas
I have a Christmas Tree storage bag with wheels, but I thought these DIY tree storage ideas were clever. I really liked Thea’s sewn tree bag and might have to use her idea for making a wreath storage bag.
- Wreath Storage…using a Coat Rack @Sew Many Ways – UPDATE 12/27/2014 I covered our small wreath with a bag and stored flat in a box.
- How to Store an Artificial Tree @Time with Thea (no longer blogging)
- Tree in a Tube @Family Handyman
- Christmas Storage Tricks @The Seasonal Home
- Saran Wrapped Tree @4 Little Fergusons (doesn’t show steps, but I think it’s easy to figure out)
- How to Pack and Detangle Christmas Lights @Oh Amanda
- Organizing Holiday Decorations @Organize 365
- Happy Holidays and a Tip for Storing Christmas Lights @A Real-Life Housewife – UPDATE 12/27/2014 I did this and I’m amazed at how easy this is. The only drawback is that if you have small hands or long strands, it can be difficult to make the bundles.
If you have a holiday decoration storage ideas or tips, please share it by leaving a comment below.
If you are limited in space, check out my Space and Waste Saving Christmas Decoration Storage Tips