Looking for a bomb banana bread recipe? Try this bananalicious banana bread recipe!
I got this banana recipe 8 years ago on a site called RecipeZaar, which migrated to food.com, and is now geniuskitchen.com. It’s by far THE BEST banana bread and was originally shared by Shelley Albeluhn. It is full of banana flavor and has the most mashed bananas I’ve seen in a good banana recipe to date. While I kept true to the original recipe, I did add a few other ingredients to my family’s liking and I hope you like it too!THE Best banana bread that's full of banana flavor!
Bananalicious Banana Bread Tips
I’m not going to bore you with all the steps to make this since the directions are on the recipe card. However, I will share a picture of the bananas I used, what I used to mash the bananas, and what the pan looks like when greased and floured.
Best Bananas to Use
Make sure the bananas are VERY overripe. The riper the bananas, the better the bread. I use bananas that have lots of black spots on it. If you don’t use overripe bananas there won’t be a good flavor and sweetness payoff.
How to Mash Bananas
To mash the bananas, I use one of my hand held mixer beaters. I place the bananas in a measuring cup and use the beater to mash each banana until I get the 2 1/3 cups needed for the recipe. FYI, it takes about 4 1/2 to 5 medium bananas to make this recipe.
Grease and Flour Pan
A really important step is to grease AND flour the 9″ x 5″ loaf pan. This will help the loaf slip right out of the pan once cooled for 10-minutes after baking.
Note: When the bread is done, you’ll see it just ever so slightly pull away from the edges of the pan. A toothpick test is also good and should come out clean when the bread is done.
Now let’s get to the recipe!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/3 cup overripe bananas, mashed. Use bananas that have lots of black spots. Using under ripe bananas won't give a good flavor payoff.
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (add up to 1/2 cup for nut lovers)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly grease and flour a 9"x 5" loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Mix in the vanilla extract, eggs, and mashed bananas until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Add this dry mix into the banana mixture and stir just until incorporated into the wet mix. DO NOT over mix or this will result in a dense bread. Add in the nuts and mix until well distributed throughout the mix.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan. Bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted to the center of the loaf comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Slice and serve!
- Omit the nuts if you do not like nuts.
- 2 1/3 cups of mashed bananas equals approximately 5 medium sized bananas.
- Chocolate chips can be substituted for nuts or use a mix of both.
- Substitute butter with apple sauce, oil, sour cream, or yogurt.
- Make sure to use a 9" x 5" loaf pan. Too small a pan will cause the bread to brown on the outside before it cooks on the inside. If the inside is still slightly raw after the cook time, cover it with foil and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Superior Glass Mixing Bowls with Lids - 8 Piece Mixing Bowl Set with BPA- Free lids
StarPack Basics Silicone Mixing Spoon, High Heat Resistant
Pyrex SYNCHKG039125 4 Measuring Cup, Clear with Red Graphics
Rachael Ray Yum-o! Bakeware Oven Lovin' Nonstick Loaf Pan, 9-Inch by 5-Inch Steel Pan, Gray with Orange Handles
Checkered Chef Cooling Racks for Baking 17 x 11.75inch - Baking Rack Twin Set. Stainless Steel.