Do you like to do a little something fun for your kids on St. Patrick’s Day? I do. But now that my kids are older, they aren’t into the cutesy foods anymore. So while I was perusing Pinterest for some ideas, I came across a rainbow grilled cheese sandwich that looked so fun. And since my kids enjoy grilled cheese sandwiches, I decided to put a twist on it and create a rainbow grilled cheese waffleich for a fun St. Patrick’s Day lunch.
If you don’t know what a waffleich is, it’s basically any sandwich that has been ‘grilled’ in a waffle maker. It’s a quick way to crisp up the outside of a sandwich and it’s my youngest daughter’s favorite way to make hot sandwiches.
Of course, you don’t have to use a waffle maker to make this fun sandwich. This could be cooked in a pan like a regular grilled cheese sandwich. But when you use a waffle maker, all the cheese colors peeks through and you get a fun rainbow surprise throughout the bread.
Find more rainbow fun on my St. Patrick’s Day Pinterest Board
Rainbow Grilled Cheese Waffleich - St. Patrick's Day Lunch
How to make a colorful grilled rainbow cheese sandwich using a waffle maker.
- loaf French or Sour Dough Bread - substitute with thick slice Artisan Bread
- 1 1/4 cup Mozzarella Cheese - substitute with any mild cheese
- 4-5 food colorings
- mayonnaise - substitute with butter or flavored butter
- Optional - Ranch Dressing for dipping
- Heat up the waffle maker. Divide 1 1/4 cup of shredded cheese between 5 bowls. Stir in 5-6 drops of one food coloring to each bowl.
- Cut bread diagonally into 3/4" to 1" slices. Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise onto both sides of each slice. Add a spoonful of colored each colored cheese onto one slice in rows. Place the other bread on the cheese and place into the waffle maker. Close the waffle maker and add pressure until the sandwich is flat. Cook until the outside is crisp and lightly browned.
- Serve with a side of Ranch Dressing.
For added flavor, try using flavored butter on the outside of the bread or add herbs to the cheese.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
More St. Patrick’s Day Ideas
St. Patrick's Day Ideas
How to Make a Spring Tulle Rainbow Wreath
Create a pretty Spring Tulle Rainbow Wreath that you can convert into a St. Patrick's Day Wreath. This wreath is made for use indoors or under a covered area. Video tutorial included.
This is such a cute idea! And clever, too—I would have never thought to use a waffle iron to make grilled cheese (much less add food coloring to the cheese)! Definitely saving this for the next time the grandkids come over. Thanks for sharing.
So fun idea! And it looks easy to make. I think that’s great not only for the younger but older too.
That rainbow grilled cheese looks awesome!
Such a cute idea! My kids would love this. Who am I kidding, I would love this! 🙂
Thanks. I had fun with it…lol.
Just wanted to let you know that your waffleich is being featured over at mybusybeehives.com #BEEPARTY today! Thanks for linking up last week, please come again!
I just saw your “waffleich” on Twitter and I fell in love! My kids would absolutely adore this and I will definitely be setting aside some time to make some soon! Pinned!
PS I recently started a new link party. I would love it if you would share this!