Still haven’t put out any July 4th decor yet? No worries, head over to the 99 Cent Only store and pick up a few 21″ x 21″ flag bandana squares and whip up some patriotic flag dining chair covers in under 30 minutes!
Don’t let the idea of sewing scare you away from creating these patriotic chair covers. If you can’t sew, you can opt to use glue. However, I highly suggest sewing because it will last longer and this project only uses straight sewing lines.
Patriotic Flag Dining Chair Covers
Just for reference, my chair backs are a flat style and are these Pier 1 Torrance dining chairs. The chair backs measure approximately 20.5″ high by 17.5″ wide. If you chairs are slightly larger in width (up to 18.5″), they should be ok. I tried fitting this on my farm style chairs with a very curved back (19″ wide) and they didn’t work as well and were a little snug.
Patriotic Flag Chair Cover Supplies:
- 2 flag bandana squares per chair
- thread (red, white, or blue)
- sewing machine or fabric glue
How to Make Patriotic Flag Chair Covers:
- Iron out the wrinkles in the square bandana flags.
- Take two flag bandana squares and place the right sides together.
- Pin three sides of the flag. Since the squares are sometimes not sewn evenly square, match the bottom edges of the flag together and pin the right and left sides of the square together first. Then, pin the top of the flag (where the stars are).
- Sew the flags together starting at the bottom and work you way around the flag to the other side. I left about a 1/4″ seam edge. When done, the bottom of the flag should be the only area not sewn together. It should look like a dining chair slipcover. Remove any pins.
- If you don’t sew, you can use fabric glue or hand sew around the three edges of the flag.
- Slip over chairs and enjoy your new American flag chairs.
Hope you liked this super easy and quick way to add some patriotic decor to your home. It takes under 30 minutes and gives a huge impact for a small investment.
More Patriotic Ideas …
- 15 Patriotic Dessert Recipes
- 10 Red, White, & Blue Patriotic Crafts
- DIY Giant Pool Noodle Firecracker Decoration
- 30+ Backyard Sumer Salad Recipes via Made In A Day
What a fabulous idea. My little girl is studying flags at school right now, and this would be perfect for a party. Thank you for sharing!
Jo (a Rose Tinted WOrld) recently posted…Teacher Gifts That You Can Make Or Sew
Loving these pretties. Pinning to my patriot board and my Dollar Store board
Thanks Michele. It’s such an easy craft and quick way to decorate for the 4th.
Wow! Those chair covers are fantastic! What a great idea that I would never have thought of! Now I am thinking about doing the same thing with other scarf squares!
I love flag decor and these chair covers are perfect! I can’t wait to make them next year. I’ll be featuring them Thursday at the Summer Time Fun Link Party Features. Happy Summer!
That is brilliant! I would never have thought of that. Thanks so much for sharing with us at the Summer Time Fun party. Pinned.
These are great, Erlene! What a creative way to use those bandanas! Your chairs look great for a festive celebration.
These are great! I have pretty much those exact chairs and I never buy chair covers because they’re so expensive and I have little ones so dining room anything gets messy fast! Can’t wait to try!!