It’s National Hot Dog Month! So this week, I’m featuring mouthwatering hot dog recipes and hot dog fun facts!
Did you know that July is when all things hot dogs are celebrated?! I know, July is almost over, but I don’t see any reason to not celebrate hot dogs all year long! After all, aren’t hot dogs an all American food item?! So celebrate the hot dog with these hot dog fun facts and mouthwatering hot dog recipes!
Hot Dog Fun Facts*
- Did you know there is still debate on how to define a hot dog? In 2013, Califonia’s Health and Safety code updated it’s definition of the ‘hot dog’ to mean – any whole, cured, cooked sausage that is skinless or stuffed in a casing, that may be known as a frankfurter, frank, furter, wiener, red hot, vienna, bologna, garlic bologna, or knockwurst, and that may be served in a bun or roll.
- Americans purchase 9 billion hots dogs at retail stores each year. This doesn’t include hot dog stands, sporting events, carnivals, or any other venue, so the number is estimated to be 20 billion!
- Hot dogs are served in 95% of American homes.
- New York residents purchase over $101 billion dollar in hot dogs, which is more than any other city in the country.
- Did you know there is such a thing as hot dog etiquette? You can read about it here.
- A premium hot dog vending spot outside of New York’s Central Park Zoo costs $289,500 to rent! That’s crazy!
- Oscar Meyer released it’s famous ‘I’d love to me an Oscar Meyer wiener’ jingle in 1963. Do you remember it? I do!
Mouthwatering Hot Dogs
Traditional Hot Dog Recipes (sausage between a traditional bun)
- Grilled Bratwurst with Boozy Salsa via Cravings of a Lunatic (PIN IT)
- Easy Crock Pot Chili Cheese Dogs via Flour On My Face (PIN IT)
- Bratwurst and Pineapple Relish via Mom’s Take (PIN IT)
- Firecracker Hot Dog via Boulder Locavore (PIN IT)
- Hot Dogs with Sriracha and Pineapple Salsa via Tonya Staab (PIN IT)
- Tex Mex Hot Dogs via A Turtle’s Life For Me (PIN IT)
- Pizza Hotdogs via Simply Stacie (PIN IT)
- Honey Mustard Slaw Dog via Coupon Clipping Cook (PIN IT)
- Crunchy Bacon Cheese Hot Dogs via Family Food and Travel (PIN IT)
- Philly Cheesesteak Hot Dogs via A Turtle’s Life For Me (PIN IT)
- Campfire Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs via Let’s Camp More (PIN IT)
- Easy Chili Cheese Dogs via Emily Enchanted (PIN IT)
- Cuban-Style Hot Dog via Mommy Musings (PIN IT)
- Gourmet Hot Dogs via Dessert Now Dinner Later (PIN IT)
- Mango Salsa Dogs via Num’s The Word (PIN IT)
- Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs (oven style) via Loaves and Dishes (PIN IT)
- Best Ever Chili Dog Recipe via Spaceships and Laser Beams (PIN IT)
- Oven Baked Hot Dogs (great for a crowd) via 4 Sons ‘R’ Us (PIN IT)
- Hot Dogs with Krautslaw via Fab Food 4 All (PIN IT)
- Healthier Hot Dogs with Rainbow Vegetables via Eats Amazing (PIN IT)
- Memphis Hot Dogs via Bottom Left of the Mitten (PIN IT)
- Surf and Turf Po’ Boy Style Hot Dog via Foodall (PIN IT)
- Self-Serve Hot Dog Party via My Pinterventures (PIN IT)
- Bacon Mac-n-Cheese Hot Dogs via Spaceships and Laser Beams (PIN IT)
Non-traditional Hot Dog Recipes
- Hawaiian BBQ Hot Dog Kabobs via Our Good Life (PIN IT)
- Hot Dog Twists + Dipping Sauces via Rocky Mountain Savings (PIN IT)
- Mini Chili Dog Crescents via Savings Lifestyle (PIN IT)
- Corn Dog Muffins via Drugstore Divas (PIN IT)
- Homemade Pretzel Dogs via Joy Food Sunshine (PIN IT)
- Cheesy Hot Dog Wontons via Cheap Recipe Blog (PIN IT)
- Crunchy Nacho Dogs via Dessert Now Dinner Later (PIN IT)
- Jalapeno Pretzel Dogs via Who Needs A Cape (PIN IT)
- Walking Chili Cheese Dog via Dad What’s 4 Dinner (PIN IT)
- Chili Dog Casserole with Cheese Fries via 4 Sons ‘R’ Us (PIN IT)
- Chili Dog Pizza via Marilyn’s Treats (PIN IT)
- Hot Dog Toad In The Hole via Fuss Free Falvours (PIN IT)
- Cheesy Hot Dog Pie via Nana’s Little Kitchen (PIN IT)
- Coney Dog Nachos via Who Needs A Cape (PIN IT)
- Corn Dog Chili Bake via The Cozy Cook (PIN IT)
Vegetarian Hot Dog Recipes
While vegetarian options do not necessarily fit into the definition of a hot dog, I thought it would be nice to give meat-less options for non meat eaters.
- Mexican Carrot Dogs with Chunky Salsa Verde via Strength and Sunshine (PIN IT)
- Vegan Chili Dog via Cadry’s Kitchen (PIN IT)
- Pressure Cooker Carrot Hot Dogs via This Old Gal (PIN IT)
- Old School Wiener Wraps via Spabettie (PIN IT)
- Vegan Chorizo Hot Dogs via Rhian’s Recipes (PIN IT)
- Best Roasted Carrot Hot Dogs via Gluten Free A to Z Blog (PIN IT)
- Bacon Cheese Dogs via Fried Dandelions (PIN IT)
- Grilled Vegan Carrot Hot Dogs via Vegan Huggs (PIN IT)
What’s your favorite hot toppings or favorite hot dog recipe?
For more hot dog recipes, check out these posts ~
- Instapot Hot Dogs via The Typical Mom (PIN IT)
- Best Hot Dog Recipes via Easy Holiday Ideas (PIN IT)
*Sources: New York Times, September 4, 2013. National Hot Dog and Sausage Council, July 22, 2018. Quartz Media, July 19, 2017.
This is such a great round up Erlene! I sent it to my Dad and he was thrilled! #merrymonday
Thanks so much, I appreciate you sharing. Let me know if he tries any of the recipes.
Hi Erlene! LOVE all the hotdog recipes! Thanks so much for hosting and have a great week!!
Thanks for stopping by. Aren’t all of these just drool worthy?!
Thank you so much for hosting again this week. You always do so much for bloggers! Try to stay cool and enjoy your week ahead.
Thanks Marilyn. Looking forward to your recipes.
Thank you for featuring our Bacon-Wrapped Cheese Dogs. We have shared on social and schedule to pin over the next few days.
Thanks for sharing your hot dog recipe. We’re totally going to be making this.
Thank you for hosting. Hope you had a lovely weekend!
Thanks so much for hosting each week!!
Thanks for stopping by and sharing with us each week.