Today is the day to bake some special treats for your best friend…your four legged best friend! Why? Because it’s International Dog Biscuit Appreciation Day and I’m sharing 33 Tasty Homemade Dog Treat Recipes that are sure to get your dog’s tail wagging!
Before we get to the tasty homemade dog treat recipes, here are a few fun dog biscuit facts –
- The first dog biscuit was made by Ohio electrician named James Spratt in the mid 19th century after seeing stray dogs in England eating ship’s biscuits (hardtack).
- Spratt’s first dog cakes were made from grains, beetroot, vegetables, and dried bison.
- The iconic dog bone shape of biscuits was the idea of Carleton Eliis, an American inventor.
- In 1908, the first bone-shaped dog biscuits were sold by the F. H. Bennett Biscuit Company, and eventually became known as Milk-Bones.
- Nobody knows who started International Dog Biscuit Appreciation day, but who cares?! Our dogs give us unconditional love and they deserve a treat or two, right?
- Dog biscuits/treats are often loaded with fat and calories and may contribute to over half of American dogs being obese or overweight.
Okay, #6 is a bit of a downer, but it’s all the more reason to make your own tasty homemade dog treats! Depending on your dog’s dietary needs, you can choose the right ingredients for your dog to ensure the perfect treat for them. Of course, make sure you talk with your vet to best determine any dietary restrictions your dog may have. Homemade dog treats are not a dog food replacement and should be given sparingly.
33 Tasty Homemade Dog Treat Recipes
Peanut Butter Biscuits
- Peanut Butter Bacon and Oatmeal Dog Biscuit via Conserva Mom (PIN IT)
- Peanut Butter Cheddar Dog Bones via We Are Not Martha (PIN IT)
- Peanut Butter and Banana Homemade Dog Treats via One Dish Kitchen (PIN IT)
- Tuck’s Favorite Dog Treats via Renee Nicole’s Kitchen (PIN IT)
- Healthy Peanut Butter-Pumpkin Doggie Biscuits via Delicious Table (PIN IT)
- Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Treats via Amber Oliver (PIN IT)
- Not shown – Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits via C’mon Get Crafty (PIN IT)
- Not shown – Homemade Dog Treats via Gina’s Library (PIN IT)
Oatmeal/Oat Flour Biscuits – wheat free options
- Homemade Pumpkin Dog Treats via Retro Housewife Goes Green (PIN IT)
- Sweet Potato Dog Treats via A Virtual Vegan (PIN IT)
- Banana Peanut Butter Dog Treats via A Virtual Vegan (PIN IT)
- Coconut Oatmeal Pupcakes via VegAnnie (PIN IT)
- Easy Homemade Dog Treat via Must Have Mom (PIN IT)
- Kale, Apple, and Oat Dog Treats via Three Olives Branch (PIN IT)
- Healthy Peanut Butter Cookie Dog Treats [Gluten-free + Vegan] via Healthy Helper (PIN IT)
- Pumpkin Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits via Grab a Plate (PIN IT)
- Pumpkin Apple Dog Treats via Munchkins and the Military (PIN IT)
- Peanut Butter Banana Dog Treats via Munchkins and the Military (PIN IT)
- Doggy Breath Treats via Munchkins and the Military (PIN IT)
- Healthy Homemade Dog Treats via Roots North and South (PIN IT)
- PB Pumpkin Dog Treats via Hungry Hobby (PIN IT)
- Chicken and Parsley Dog Biscuits via The Flying Couponer (PIN IT)
- Chicken Flavored Dog Treats via Thirty Something (PIN IT)
- 4-ingredient Chicken and Biscuits via Two Healthy Kitchens (PIN IT)
- Leftover Chicken 2-ingredient Dog Treat via Two Healthy Kitchens (PIN IT)
- Bacon Cornmeal Dog Biscuit via Ann’s Entitled Life (PIN IT)
- Sweet Potato Dog Treats via Thrifty Jinxy (PIN IT)
- Cranberry, Honey, and Oat Dog Treats via Three Olives Branch (PIN IT)
- Pumpkin Dog Biscuits via Kitchen Treaty (PIN IT)
- High-Value Dog Treats via Baking Mischief (PIN IT)
- Frosty Breath Dog Treats via Muchkin and the Military (PIN IT)
- Frozen Yogurt Dog Treats via Retro Housewife Goes Green (PIN IT)
- Watermelon and Frozen Yogurt Dog Treats via Baking Mischief (PIN IT)
Which tasty homemade dog treat recipe will you be making?
I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Thank you!
Dog facts from the NYT Magazine webpage on August 1, 2014. Headline: Who Made That Dog Biscuit?