This easy pot roast with roasted vegetables is a simple way to upgrade your pot roast game.
Pot roast is one of my favorite things to eat. In the past, I would make pot roast in a slow cooker because it was a set it and forget it type of easy meal. I would place seared meat and uncooked vegetables into the slow cooker and have dinner ready in a few hours.
But a trip to Denny’s has forever changed how I make pot roast. You may be scoffing at the thought of Denny’s pot roast being that good, but it was! And the secret to their pot roast being amazing? Roasted vegetables. Yup, the roasted vegetables with the pot roast made a HUGE difference!
Of course, if you don’t have time and want to throw everything into a slow cooker, go for it! There are a lot of delicious slow cooker pot roast recipes on the internet. However, roasted vegetables have better texture and flavor than those made in the slow cooker(IMHO), so I hope you try it.
- 3 – 3.5 lb. chuck roast
- Vegetable oil & Olive oil – regular oil to sear the pot roast and olive oil for roasting the vegetables
- Kosher salt & pepper
- Cream of Mushroom – Campbells cream of mushroom
- Red wine – Cabernet Sauvignon or your favorite red wine
- Onion soup mix – Lipton onion soup mix
- 2 small onions – sweet onions give delicious flavor when roasted
- Yellow bell pepper – can be substituted for red/green
- Celery – depending on size, use 3-4 celery stalks
- Potatoes – can be substituted for whole petite potatoes
- Carrots – depending on size, use 3-4 carrots
- Mushrooms – use 8 ounces of your favorite mushrooms
- Garlic – use fresh smashed garlic. Do not mince or finely chop the garlic because it can burn while roasting
- Italian herbs – can use your favorite herbs and substitute for fresh herbs
- Slow cooker – 6-quart size for pot roast
- Baking Sheet – 15″ x 21″ for roasted vegetables
- Tongs or metal spatula – use to toss vegetables and for meat
- Cast iron pan – 13″ cast iron pan or high heat pan
- Measuring spoons/cups – measure herbs and spices
- Large bowl – toss vegetables
- Spoon – mix pot roast seasonings
- Peeler, cutting board, & knife – prepare vegetables
- 3- 3.5 lbs. chuck roast
- 3-4 T. canola oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 - 10.5 oz. can Cream of Mushroom
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1 packet Lipton onion soup mix
- optional - 1 small onion, quartered
- 6 small/medium potatoes, cut into 3/4" pieces
- 3-4 carrots, cut into 1/2" sized discs
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into 1" squares
- 1 small sweet onion, quartered
- 1 - 8 oz. box mushrooms, whole with stems removed
- 3 -4 stalks celery, cut into 1/2" pieces
- 5 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. Italian herbs or use your own blend of preferred herbs
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to season to taste after roasting
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Generously season chuck roast with salt and pepper. Set aside. Heat 3 T. canola oil in a large cast-iron pan on high heat or another type of pan that can handle high heat. While the pan is heating up, add a quartered onion into the slow cooker pot.
- When the cast iron pan is hot, sear one side of the roast for about 4-5 minutes. Flip the roast to the other side and sear for another 4-5 minutes. If the pan seems dry, add another 1 T. canola oil to it. The roast should be nicely browned on both sides. Optional - sear the sides of the meat by holding it up with tongs for 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the seared roast to the slow cooker and place it on the onions. Add the cream of mushroom and onion soup mix over the roast. Add 1 cup of water into the empty cream of mushroom can. Then, fill it to the top with red wine (about 1/4 cup of wine). Pour this water/wine mixture over the roast and cream of mushroom mixture. Spread and mix together the liquids (doesn't have to be all blended). Cover and set the slow cooker to low for 8 hours or on high for 5 - 5.5 hours. If your chuck is roast is 4 lbs. or slightly larger, adjust your cook time to 9 hours on low and 6 hours on high.
- Set oven to 400°F. Begin prepping and roasting the vegetables during the last hour of cooking the pot roast. Vegetable prep should take about 20 - 25 minutes to wash, peel, and cut. Remove excess water by gently pressing a towel or paper towel on the cut vegetables. Note: omit and substitute more/less of the vegetables you prefer.
- In a large bowl, toss all the vegetables with 1/2 cup olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, and Italian herbs.
- Place vegetables onto a large 15" x 21" baking sheet. Make sure the vegetables are in a single layer and not overcrowded. Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, toss the vegetables, so the unbrowned sides touch the pan. Cook another 15 minutes.
- Remove vegetables from the oven. Season with more salt to taste if needed. Serve on the side or plate with the pot roast and sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Chef Craft Heavy Duty Turner/Spatula, 12.75 inch, Stainless Steel
Hamilton Beach Programmable Slow Cooker with Three Temperature Settings, 7-Quart + Lid Latch Strap, Black
Crock-pot SCCPVF620S Smart Pot Slow Cooker with Easy to Clean Stoneware | Programmable 6 Quart | Stainless Steel
Nordic Ware Baker's Big Baking Sheet, 1-Pack, Silver
3Pack Ceramic Baking Dish for Oven with Handles Packaging Upgrade Nonstick Ceramic Bakeware for Cooking
Pyrex Glass Mixing Bowl Set (3-Piece Set, Nesting, Microwave and Dishwasher Safe)
Pompeian Robust Extra Virgin Olive Oil - 68 Ounce