[Tweet “Create easy art – Summer Sea Watercolor #craft #fun #kids #CraftRoomDestashChallenge”]
Summer Sea Watercolor Background Art
Before I share this Summer Watercolor Art project, I want to state that I am not a watercolor expert. I’m telling you this because I don’t want you to be intimidated by this project. Even if you’ve never painted with watercolor, YOU CAN DO THIS!
- Watercolor paper to fit your frame
- Paint brushes
- Watercolor paint
- Containers for water
- Plastic bag (Ziplock type bag)
- Water bottle
- Hair blow dryer (optional)
Optional supplies for quotes:
- Black felt pen
- Watercolor pencils
- Hot glue gun/glue sticks
- star fish/shells
- Brush water all over the entire paper.
- Add various shades of blue and green onto the paper. Continue to add color until you get a pattern you like.
- If the paper seems too dry, don’t be afraid to add more water to the paper to allow the colors to ‘bleed’ a little.
- If the paint has dried, spray with water.
- Place the plastic bag onto the painted paper. Rub your hands over the bag from the center out towards the outside edge of the paper. My daughter cuts open the bag to have one layer of plastic, but I leave the bag ‘as-is’ in case I want to use it 🙂
- Remove the plastic bag. If you like what you see, let the paint dry. Otherwise, add more color or replace the bag over the paper and smooth out again until you get the look you like.
- Let the paint dry or if you’re impatient like me, use a blow dryer to dry the paint.
- Optional – I added some splatters of blue paint to add more interest.
- Apply a mat, set in a frame, and it’s ready to hang!
Optional ~ Summer Sea Watercolor Quote and Decorating
Okay, this is where I enlisted the help of my two teen daughters. They are talented in the trendy hand lettering, so I let them write the quotes and I added the drawings and shells.
- Write a quote and decorate.
- Change things up and cut the edges of the paper.
- Draw a fun summer image, paint, and outline with permanent black pen.
If you’d like to join in the Craft Room De-Stash Challenge, you can request to join our Facebook group here!