When it comes to an easy and tasy slow cooker meal, this creamy mushroom chicken hits the spot!
There are times when I’m a total procrastinator when it comes to making dinner. In turn, this means there isn’t any protein defrosted and I have to scramble to think of something to make. Lucky for me, this slow cooker creamy mushroom chicken recipe can be used with chicken that isn’t fully defrosted!
Yes, you read that right! The chicken doesn’t need to be fully defrosted and can even be used frozen! I prefer partially defrosted, but if want to have dinner cooking while out and don’t have anything defrosted, this is a great recipe choice. Just know that using fully frozen boneless chicken will take about 10 -12 hours to cook, so keep that in mind.
Since I prefer partially defrosted chicken, I will take a 2.5 lbs. bag of frozen chicken thighs and defrost it in the microwave. I use the defrost setting for 2 lbs. of poultry and it takes about 22 minutes. Using the defrost setting for slightly less than what is needed leaves some of the chicken with a bit of ice still on it and that’s ok for this recipe. The extra bit of ice helps add a bit of liquid to the creamy mushroom chicken sauce.
Another great thing about this recipe is that it’s truly a dump everything in the slow cooker kind of meal. There isn’t any extra step of cooking anything prior to adding it into the slow cooker, which means less dishes! And who doesn’t like less dishes in the sink?!
Slow Cooker Creamy Mushroom Chicken
How to make creamy mushroom chicken in a slow cooker using minimal ingredients. Can use chicken that's partially defrosted.
- 2.5 lbs. boneless chicken thighs or breast, fully or partially defrosted
- 2 - 10 3/4 oz. cans Cream of Mushroom condensed soup
- 1/2 cup dry white wine*
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 1 - 4 oz. can sliced mushrooms or use a small basket of fresh mushrooms
- Optional - serve with side of sour cream
- Serve over rice, couscous, or cooked pasta
- Mix together soup, wine, soup mix, and canned mushrooms in slow cooker. Note: if using fresh whole mushrooms, just clean and slice off bottom of stems and add to the soup mixture.
- To use partially defrosted chicken, place frozen boneless chicken thighs in the microwave. Use the defrost setting for 2 lbs. of poultry, which should take about 22 minutes. Remove the chicken from the bag and place chicken on the soup mix. Push the chicken down until it hits the bottom of the slow cooker. If some of the chicken is above the soup mix, use a spoon to cover it with the soup mix.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. If using fully frozen chicken, cook on low for 10 -12 hours. See notes.
- When done, chicken will easily fall apart. Serve in large chunks or shred before placing over rice, pasta, or couscous.
*I use a Sauvignon Blanc wine. This can be omitted, but it does help with flavor, tenderize, and moisture. I would recommend using it if using chicken breast.
This is great for using partially defrosted chicken as the water from the chicken will help with the 'soup' of this dish. If you totally don't have time to defrost or forgot to defrost, cook for 10 -12 hours. Note: using fully frozen chicken may water down the sauce, so take the lid off the slow cooker for the last 15 - 30 minutes to cook off some of the liquid.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 610Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 248mgSodium: 974mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 51g