Need some sweet potato puree? Here’s an easy ‘How to Make Sweet Potato Puree’ recipe with optional add-ins for sweet potato mash side dish.
Ok, I don’t know if this really is considered a recipe because it only uses one ingredient, sweet potatoes. Anyway, I thought it would be nice to share how simple it is to make sweet potato puree if you’re trying to make some fall recipes that call for it.
Sweet potatoes are high in beta-carotene that your body uses to make vitamin A and high in fiber. It also offers more vitamins and antioxidants than regular potatoes, so I like to keep it on-hand for my kids to snack on. They love eating it roasted with a bit of salt. It’s a great healthy snack and easy to cut up and roast for a dinner side dish.
Sweet potato puree can be bought in a can, but once you see how easy it is to make, you’ll want to make it yourself. Sweet potatoes are at their peak during fall and winter, so it’s best to make and store it during this time. Yes, you can roast and freeze sweet potato puree to use later in the year!
One last thing, I know sweet potatoes cook faster if chopped into 1/2″ – 1″ cubes up to boil or roast, but it can lose some sweetness. Roasting sweet potatoes, whole in their skins, can create a sweeter puree making it perfect for pies and mash. Now, let’s learn how to make sweet potato puree!
How to Make Sweet Potato Puree
Quick and simple way to make sweet potato puree to use in recipes. Optional additions to make sweet potato mash for a side dish.
Sweet Potato Puree
- 2 large sweet potatoes, 1 - 1.25 lbs. each
Optional - Sweet Potato Mash
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 2 T. cream or whole milk, add more if needed
- salt/pepper to taste
- Optional - drizzle on maple syrup, for added sweetness
Sweet Potato Puree
- Preheat oven to 400°F, making sure the rack is in the middle. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Prick the potatoes all over with a fork.
- Place the potatoes on the baking sheet and in the oven. Bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until tender.
- Let potatoes cool for 15 minutes. The skin will wrinkle as it cools. Peel the skin off and place in a food processor. Blend until you get a smooth consistency.
Sweet Potato Mash
- Follow steps 1 - 4 for the Sweet Potato Puree.
- While hot, add in the butter, cream, salt/pepper to taste. If you want the sweet potato mash sweeter, drizzle maple syrup over it.
- Fridge: Place cooled sweet potato puree in air tight bags or containers to store for up to 3 - 5 days.
- Freezer: Place cooled sweet potato puree in air tight bags or containers to store for up to 12 months.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
12 PCS Dinner Forks Silverware Set, Dominion Heavy Duty Forks, Stainless Steel
Commercial Aluminum Baking Sheet Pan, 1/2 Sheet, 17.9 x 12.9 Inch, Pack of 2
Calphalon Performance Air Fry Convection Oven, Countertop Toaster Oven
Amazon Basics Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil, 12" X 200'
Reynolds Wrap Aluminum Foil, 200 Square Feet
More Side Dishes . . .
Green Bean Bacon Casserole with Caramelized Onions
A twist on the classic green bean casserole has the addition of bacon and caramelized onions.