Add a splash of fall color to your table with this homemade sweet potato biscuits recipe.
Are Sweet Potato Biscuits Sweet?
You may be wondering what sweet potato biscuits taste like? Well, it doesn’t have that super sweet taste of sweet potatoes. In fact, sweet potato biscuits taste like any other biscuits, so even non sweet potato lovers can eat these. Truthfully, the only real difference from regular biscuits is the beautiful orange hue that sweet potatoes add to the biscuits and a bit more nutrition.
To make these homemade sweet potato biscuits, I made my own sweet potato puree. I like making my own since sweet potatoes are in season during the fall/winter and I can use the leftover puree in other recipes. Of course, you can purchase canned sweet potato puree for convenience too.
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 T. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 T. unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small cubes
- 15 ounces sweet potato puree
- 3/4 cup buttermilk*
- Cut a stick of butter in small cubes, place in fridge to chill. Heat oven to 425°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Sift the first four ingredients together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sweet potato puree and buttermilk.
- Add chilled butter into the four mixture. Use a pastry cutter to cut butter into the flour, creating small pea sized butter pieces. You can use your hands to work the butter into the flour, making sure to not melt the butter.
- Use a fork to combine the sweet potato mixture and flour mixture just until the flour is worked in. Do not overmix. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead for 1 minute.
- If needed, lightly flour surface again. Roll dough out to 1/2" thickness.
- Use a 2 1/2" round biscuit cutter to cut out 16-18 biscuits. Place cut biscuits onto the baking sheet, about 1 - 1 1/2" apart.
- Bake 10 -12 minutes. Serve warm or room temperature with butter, maple syrup, or any other biscuit condiments.
*To make buttermilk, add 1 T. of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Professional Pastry Cutter with Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Blades, Medium Size
Non-slip Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20''
Color Mixing Bowls with Lids - 12 Piece Plastic Nesting Bowls , Microwave Safe
Non-Stick Rolling Pin for Baking , Professional Dough Roller 16.5” by 2.2”
Reynolds Kitchens Parchment Paper Roll with SmartGrid, 45 Square Feet
Commercial Aluminum Baking Sheet Pan, 1/2 Sheet, 17.9 x 12.9 Inch, Pack of 2
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 165Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 381mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 3g