My kids LOVE potatoes. They believe potatoes should be their own food group. In fact, my family can easily eat 5 lbs. of mashed potatoes in a day! I know, it’s quite shocking, right? I mean, it’s FIVE pounds! On the bright side, that’s one less thing I have to store in the fridge 🙂
Chunky Mashed Potatoes
As of September 2021, I’ve updated this recipe to make it easier to make. I used to use a combination of Russet potatoes (starchy potato) for the mashed part and red potatoes for the chunky part. The Russet potatoes mash well and give a fluffy texture and the red potatoes (waxy potatoes) for the chunky part. But it’s much easier to use one type of potato for the entire recipe.
Of course, you can still use a combination of starchy potatoes (russet), general potatoes (Yukon gold), or waxy potatoes too. Just use 4lbs. of Russet potatoes for the mash and 1 1/2 lbs. of red potatoes for the chunks. Just make sure to cook them separately and keep track of which potato is which.
Peel & Cut Potatoes
Peel and rinse off 5 lbs. of russet potatoes. Then, cut all the potatoes in half length wise.
Note: 9/19/2021 I’ve started to cut the potatoes into quarters as it shortens the cook time.
Add the potatoes into a large pot and fill with water to cover the potatoes by an inch (my 8 quart pot was a tad small). Salt the water and bring to a boil. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until a fork can pierce through the potatoes. When the potatoes are fork tender, strain and place half of the potatoes back into the pot, leaving half in the colander for later.
Add warm milk and room temperature butter into the pot with the Russet potatoes. Next, using a potato masher, mash the potatoes just until the dairy is incorporated. There will still be lumps, but that’s ok because we want those lumps!
Note: Always warm milk and use room temperature butter to keep the potatoes hot.
Add the remaining potatoes into the mashed potatoes. Again, using the potato masher, mash the potatoes into 1/2″ bite size pieces. If you feel more milk is needed, add it now. Again, don’t over mash. You want 1/2″ to 1″ chunk potato pieces. Taste and add salt to taste or more milk if needed.
Note: The potatoes can also be coarse chopped and mixed into the mashed potatoes.
Now the chunky mashed potatoes are ready to be served!
- 5 pounds red potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups warm milk or half-n-half (heat in microwave 1-2 minutes)
- 1/2 cup room temperature unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- pepper - optional
- Take a stick of butter and leave out on the counter for 15-20 minutes or until it reaches room temperature.
- Place peeled and quarted potatoes in a large pot with enough water to cover them by at least an inch. Add 2 tablespoons of kosher salt. Bring to a boil and cook for 15-20 minutes or until a fork can pierce through the potatoes.
- Strain and place half of the potatoes back into the pot with 1 1/2 cups of warm milk and room temperature butter. Mash with a potato masher just until the dairy is incorporated. There should still be some small potato chunks.
- Add in the remaining potatoes and mash with a potato masher, leaving large 1/2" to 1" pieces. Add kosher salt to taste and more milk if needed. Note: The potatoes can also be chopped into large chunks and mixed into the mashed potatoes.
- For a quick version of this, use a box of instant mashed potatoes (follow the directions for 12-16 people) and add 2 lbs. of chopped cooked potatoes into the mix.
- If dressing the potatoes with gravy, do not over season the potatoes with salt.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Cuisinart 76610-26G Chef's Classic 10-Quart Stockpot with Glass Cover,Brushed Stainless
Premium Measuring Cups and Spoons
Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
GOCTOS Potato Masher, 304 Stainless Steel
Superior Glass Mixing Bowls with Lids - 8 Piece Mixing Bowl Set with BPA- Free lids
Greener Chef Extra Large Bamboo Cutting Board - Lifetime Replacement Cutting Boards for Kitchen - 18 x 12.5 Inch - Organic Wood Butcher Block and Wooden Carving Board for Meat and Chopping Vegetables