Looking for something fun to serve for a Halloween party? I’ve got the perfect Halloween Food – Giant Marshmallow Pretzel Bone Dessert!
The whole idea of this dessert came about from my need to find a dessert to fill my Terminus Walking Dead Party table. If you aren’t familiar with Terminus, it was basically a place where people turned into cannibals and ate fellow humans for food. And for some reason, my mind went to memories of my mom sucking on beef bone marrow (she loved this stuff) and the giant marshmallow & pretzel bone dessert was born.
Halloween Food – Giant Marshmallow & Pretzel Bone Dessert
- 1 bag of large pretzel rods
- 1 bag of jumbo marshmallows
- 2 bags of white candy melts
- red icing gel or red food color
- vegetable or canola oil
- Prep the jumbo marshmallows by using kitchen shears to cut a “v” onto one end of each marshmallow.
- Use the tip of the shears to make a starter hole for the pretzels on the other end of the marshmallow.
- Melt 1 1/2 bags of white candy melts in a glass bowl/ Use 20 second increments to melt the candy, while mixing between the times. Add 1 tsp. of canola oil to help keep the mix thin.
- Dip each end of a pretzel into the candy melt and place a marshmallow on it.
- Place the pretzels onto a sheet and cool in the refrigerator – 5 minutes.
Tip – Place the candy melt bowl into another bowl of hot water to help keep the melt thin and workable.
- Dip pretzel bones into melted candy melts. Wipe any excess off. You may have to use your fingers to spread the melted candy over parts of the pretzel.
- Place in refrigerator to harden.
- Add touches of red icing gel or food color onto the bones. I found it easier to use my fingers and randomly apply color where needed.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks or freezer until needed.
When you’re ready to eat, place these on a platter and serve. But make sure you have napkins because when your mouth hits the red food coloring, it will look like you hit blood – bwahahahahaha!
More Halloween inspiration –