Are you ready for Mother’s Day? This year Mother’s Day is Sunday, May 11th and is fast approaching. Have you thought about a buying or making a special gift for her? If you feel like being crafty and want to make something or buy something on her wishlist, this 30+ Mother’s Day Gift Ideas roundup has ideas to inspire anyone. Plus, learn some fun facts about Mother’s Day too. *Post does contain affliate links*
Now, before we jump to the 30+ Mother’s Day Gift Ideas list, I thought it would be fun to share some interesting facts about the U.S. history of Mother’s Day. So here are a few facts about Mother’s Day in the United States.
- Mother’s Day officially became a holiday in 1914, when President Woodrow Wilson set aside the second Sunday of May to celebrate mothers. 2014 marks the 100th year anniversary of Mother’s Day.
- Anna Jarvis is considered the founder of Mother’s Day in the United States. She celebrated the first Mother’s Day in 1908 to honor her mother, who had organized “Mothers’ Friendship Day” in 1868 to promote reconciliation following the end of the Civil War to unite former foes.
- By 1920, Anna Jarvis resented the commercialization of the holiday and tried to have it removed as a national holiday. She even crashed events where organizations tried to profit from the holiday. She died penniless and in a sanitorium.
- Mother’s Day is the year’s #1 day for dining out…it even beats Valentine’s Day.
- Mother’s Day is the second largest gift giving day after Christmas & third largest card sending holiday.
Hope you enjoyed the Mother’s Day facts. On to the 30+ Mother’s Day Gift Ideas…
*This post does contain affiliate links. I may receive a small compensation if you use these links to purchase any of these items, which will not change the cost to you, but will help me fund this blog. Thank you for your support.*
Crafty Mom Ideas
- Silhouette America Starter Bundle Portrait Cutting Tool for Scrapbookingor Silhouette Cameo Starter Kit Bundle Cutter. This is on my wishlist. So many great things can be done with this little machine. You can learn more about it the Silhouette website.
- Stanley GR20K Trigger Feed Hot Melt Glue Gun Kit. A glue gun is a must have for any crafter. Don’t forget to buy the glue stick refills too.
- Craftsy Gift Card. This is a great place to take online video classes. All classes are stored in your account so you can view them at anytime and you can even have questions answered by the instructor. And uh, Craftsy might be having a special sale on classes for Mother’s Day, but shhhh….you didn’t hear that from me 🙂
- Gift card to her favorite craft store. Not sure what mom’s current crafting interests are? Why not get her a gift card to her favorite store. For those that don’t live near mom, many have e-cards available too.
- Weller WSB25WB 25-Watt Short Barrel Woodburning Kit. With wood projects becoming so popular, why not give mom her own wood burning kit.
Baking/Cooking Mom Ideas
- Make a 10 minute dish towel apron from Fynes Designs or Make a Handprint Apron from Craft Town.
- KitchenAid KSM75WH Classic Plus Tilt-Head 4-1/2-Quart Stand Mixer, White. If mom loves cooking, she’ll love a stand mixer.
- Mason Herb Garden Gift Kit from Makers Kit
- Baker’s Necklace from LadyKJewelry on Etsy. Maybe mom has all the kitchen gadgets she needs…give her a baker’s necklace instead.
- Make a stenciled dish towel from Today’s Creative Blog. Such a cute and simple idea that every cook needs in their kitchen.
- Taste of Home Best Loved Recipes: 1485 Favorites from the World’s #1 Food & Entertaining Magazine. Give her a great recipe book or have each relative send you their favorite recipe and put together a family recipe book.
Garden Mom Ideas
- Buy moms a potted Geranium or her favorite flower. She’ll be able to enjoy this her potted plant for years to come.
- Make mom a photo pot with all her kids/grandkids from A Boy. His Sister
- Make a fairy garden seen on Top Dreamer. Wouldn’t this make a cute addition to a garden? I think so.
- Make a teacup bird feeder from Signed by Tina. Bring birds into your garden with a unique bird feeder.
- Make garden stones from Parents Magazine. Make mom some garden markers.
Sewing Mom Ideas
- Mormor fabric from Missouri Star Quilt Co. – Mormor translates to “mother mother” (or Grandma) in Swedish. Buy mom some new fabric and check out the daily deals at the Missiouri Star Quilt Co.
- Viking Opal 650 Sewing Machine or Designer Topaz 25. This one is a little costly, but would be a great group gift.
- DIY Beginner Sewing Kit @Smashed Peas & Carrots. You could even fill the bottom of this with some candy.
- Scissors & Thread Earrings from chatnoir77
- Birds on a Dress Form Print from BySamantha. How about an art print to decorate her craft/sewing room?
Blogging Mom Ideas
- Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18 MP CMOS Digital SLR Camera and DIGIC 4 Imaging with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens. This is a great camera to get her started on taking blog pictures.
- PicMonkey (All my collages, banners, and buttons are made with this) just $33 for a whole year or Photoshop
- Shutter Starz 1051 SS6700 Tabletop Complete Photo Studio Kit with 2 Light Tents and 8 Backgrounds. I have this kit and love it. It’s a great starter kit.
- 2014 Blogger Planner $4.99 from Mama Miss. Help her keep organized with a blogger planner bundle.
- Online Blog Conference Sept. 8, 15, 22, & 29 – Tickets go on sale May 1st for $52. Learn about blogging with four days of online classes.
Beauty Mom Gift Ideas
- Homemade Lip Balm @Pins and Procrastination. This is one of the easiest lip balms to make.
- Winstonia 8pcs Set Double Ended 10 Size Dotting Tools Sable Detailing Painting Brushes Pen Kit with some nail polish. I have this set and love it. Makes nail art so much easier.
- DIY Shaving Cream @Smart School House
- DIY Lotion Bars @Juggling Act Mama or you could buy her favorite lotion, like Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion.
- Lavender Bath Salts @The Turquoise Home. Help mom keep her skin soft with some bath salts.
Need more ideas for Mother’s Day? How about these…
- Dumbledore’s Office & Butterbeer – Book Lovers’ Candles (80z jars) $29.00 from Frostbeard
- Kindle Fire HDX 7″, HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB – Includes Special Offers.
- Gift Cards
- Flavor Infuser Water Bottle from Uncommon Goods
- Custom Notebooks from Minted
- Best Mom Book Card from One Canoe Two Letterpress. Fill it with giftcards to the movies or her favorite spa.
Mother’s Day Fact Sources: National Geographic, Latin Times, Chicago NOW, Hallmark