Okay, since I did a 30+ Mother’s Day Gift Ideas and Fun Facts post, it’s only fair that I do one for Father’s Day….right? This year, Father’s Day falls on Sunday, June 15th and I wanted to do a Father’s Day Fun Facts & Gift Idea roundup. I know it’s still a few weeks away, but these special days sure creep up fast and before you know it…BAM! You’re scrambling for a gift – or maybe that’s the procrastinator in me? Anyhow, have you started thinking of Father’s Day yet?
Father’s Day Fun Facts & Gift Ideas
- The idea of Father’s Day was conceived more than a century ago by Sonora Dodd of Spokane, Washington to honor her dad, William Smart. He was a widowed Civil War vet that raised 6 children on a farm. Sonora went to local churches, retailers, and the local government to get support in making Father’s Day a holiday.
- The first Father’s Day was celebrated on June 17, 1910 in Spokane, Washington. This day was chosen because it was the month that William Smart was born.
- Father’s Day was resisted on a national level for years because of the fear that it would become overly commercialized, much like Mother’s Day had become.
- In 1966, President Lyndon Johnson was the first president to recognize Father’s Day and designated the third Sunday of June to celebrate fathers.
- In 1972, President Richard Nixon made Father’s Day a permanent national observance by signing it to law.
- Father’s Day is the 4th largest card sending U.S. holiday.
- In 2011, there were 176,000 stay-at-home dads and I’m sure that number has grown
I love finding out interesting facts about the holidays we celebrate and I hope you liked those Father’s Day Fun Facts. However, I’m not done yet. After all, this is called “Father’s Day Fun Facts & Gift Ideas” and below you’ll find some great gift ideas for dad.
- COGITO Classic $179.00 – Have you heard of the COGITO™ watch? It’s more than just a watch. It’s a smart watch that any tech savvy dad would love to have. It was created for those who believe a watch should be – first and foremost – a fashion accessory, not a duplication of your phone. A precision-crafted timepiece with an attractive analog face, offering essential smartwatch functionality on a digital display.
- When linked with the smartphone or tablet app, COGITO allows users to cut through the digital noise by customizing settings based on their priorities and selecting which notifications will appear. On the watch face, users can see if they have a call, tweet, facebook message, and more. They can then decide whether to answer or mute it with a simple push of a button. Isn’t this awesome?! So, if you’re in a meeting, movie, or any other special event, you can automatically see who is calling you right on the face of the watch. No more dragging out your phone and interrupting your special events.
- This watch also doesn’t require any special type of rechargeable batteries. It uses Bluetooth 4.0 low-energy technology, which allows COGITO to run on a conventional button-cell battery without requiring a recharge. So no more plugging in your watch and recharging! The battery will power the watch for well over one year without a charge and can be easily replaced by the user.
- Award-winning French designer Xavier Houy created COGITO CLASSIC as a watch that consumers would want to wear, one that naturally merges connectivity with a conventional timepiece. Users can express their own style through a variety of vibrant color choices and materials.
- COGITO CLASSIC are engineered to follow active users, especially in situations when the phone cannot be in their hands. With enhanced water resistance up to 10 ATM, the watches safely alert users to calls and messages even in wet situations — under the shower, in the rain, on the beach and at the pool.
See the watch in action in this video
- SmartThings Know Your Home Kit starts at $199.00 – Connect your home to your smartphone with the SmartThings app & Hub. It will notify you when people come and go, can provide security, and more.
- PC Magazine Subscription – If dad loves technology, he’ll love getting the latest news from PC Magazine.
- SensoGlove $89.00 – Okay this one could be for a sports dad too, but the technology in this glove is so neat. The glove can give your real time feedback on your grip and help you improve your game.
- Cycle Care Kit $15 – Great for dads that like to cycle.
- T-shirt frame $40 – Does dad wear a team shirt that he just can’t give up and has seen better days? Give him this frame and he can still enjoy it without wearing it 🙂
- Team cap $19.95 – My hubby doesn’t go anywhere without a cap and he can never have enough.
- Team sunglasses $9.54 – Help dad show some team spirit with fun team sunglasses.
- Team travel cup $19.99 – Does dad take coffee to work? How about a team travel mug?
- Team tie $45 – Just because dad has to wear a tie to work doesn’t mean he can’t show love for his favorite sport too.
- BONUS – Use the cooler or a small basket and fill it with sports things. Example: baseball cap, sunglasses, team mug, team jersey, his favorite snacks, etc….
- Coleman Montana 8 Tent$119.99 – Ideal for outdoorsy families and extended camping trips.
- Chill-Its 6602 Cooling Towel, Blue$9.21 – Help dad stay cool outdoors with this space age cooling towel.
- Dry Pak Case – If dad plans to be near water, help him keep his electronics dry with Dry Pak Cases.
- Gerber 31-001047 Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Pack with Multitool, Flashlight, and Fire Starter $54.67 – Designed for survival in the most extreme conditions, the Bear Grylls ultimate survival pack from Gerber is the all-weather workhorse of the Bear Grylls survival line.
- Kershaw 1555TI Cryo SpeedSafe Folding Knife $24.99 – My husband has one of these and he loves it. Kershaw also has lifetime guarantees.
Grillin’ & Foodie Dad
- Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18-1/2-Inch Charcoal Smoker, Black $299 – What guy doesn’t love some good smoked meat? With summer coming up, this would make the perfect gift for the outdoor cooking season.
- Barbecue! Bible Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades, Bastes, Butters, and Glazes– I even want this book!
- Temecula Olive Oil Company’s Garlic Lovers Gift Set $47.47 – I love this company and all of their wonderful products. Their oils rival those from Europe…don’t believe me? Read about it here.
- Everglades Seasoning’s Mesquite Cactus BBQ Rub 6oz. $3.50 – Did you know that their rub is ranked as one of the top rubs in the world? Would be a great addition to any kitchen spice rack.
- Stovetop Smoker – The Original Camerons Stainless Steel Smoker with Wood Chips – Works over any heat source, indoor or outdoor $54.95 – Not ready to buy an outdoor smoker? This stainless steel stovetop smoker would be perfect for in the kitchen. It even comes with three containers of wood chips!
- DEWALT DC970K-2 18-Volt Drill/Driver Kit $89.00 – My hubby loves his cordless drill and uses it quite often. Great gift for any handy dad.
- Keter 17182239 Folding Work Table$69.00 – A great portable work table that can be taken anywhere it’s needed.
- Werner MT-13 300-Pound Duty Rating Telescoping Multi-Ladder, 13-Foot$134.00 – This multiladder has a 300lb rating with 13 different working heights. A definite must have for any handy guy to help him reach his project safely.
- Cooper Lighting LED130 Might-D-Light 80-LED Cordless Rechargeable Folding Worklight$32.83 – I know I’m always the flashlight holder when my hubby needs more light. This is a great folding rechargeable LED light source that you wouldn’t have to hold.
- Contractor’s Pen $33 – This nifty tool has level and plumb bubbles, a ruler, drywall and angle gauges, a magnetic strip, and can write on a variety of surfaces.
Well Groomed/Fashion Dad
- Eco Friendly Shaving Kit with Beer Soap – This eco-friendly shaing and grooming kit features all natural products. Each kit come in an up-cycled wooden cigar box.
- The Trilogy $38.00 – For those dads that have beards. Use this on stubble, mustache, goatees, mutton-chops, or a full beard.
- Braun Series 7- 790cc Pulsonic Shaver System, Silver$195.00 – Hubby doesn’t have a beard? A well groomed man needs a great shaver. This innovative pulsonic technology creates 10,000 vibrations to help capture more hair.
- Best Husband/Dad Sterling Silver Cuff Links $25 – One pair of sterling silver square cufflinks are hand stamped with the word, initial, monogram, or names of your choice.
- Oyster Steak Sauce – Make dad some of his favorite things to eat all day long.
- Father’s Day Photo – Gather the kids and take a special Father’s Day Photo. This roundup from Happy Home Fairy has some of the best ideas gathered from around the web.
- FREE Father’s Day Printable from Catch My Party – I love this! Something the kids can make for dad and I’m sure they’ll love doing it too.
- Car Playmat Shirt $22 – This is one of the best shirts I’ve ever seen. They even have one for the kids too. What a great way for the kids and dad to have some fun.
Hope you liked this post on Father’s Day Fun Facts & Gift Ideas. What will you be giving to your dad for Father’s Day?
Article source: United States Census Bureau, Infoplease.com
Affiliates: There are Amazon affiliate links in this post. I may receive a small compensation if you use these links to purchase any of these items, which will not change the cost to you, but will help me fund this blog. Thank you for your support. I have been compensated by COGITO to introduce their watch product.