When I was growing up, the Honpa Hongwanji Buddhist Temple would compile local island recipes and make cookbooks to sell. These cookbooks became THE “go to” book for many island cooks, so it’s no surprise no one in my family is willing to part with theirs. Lucky for me, I found the first three editions on Amazon in excellent condition and found two recipes that I combined to make this Oyster Steak Sauce.
This oyster steak sauce is a departure from traditional steak sauce. It doesn’t have that tangy A1 sauce taste, but more of a sweet buttery flavor with a hint of Asian flair. It’s super simple, takes only 5-ingredients, and takes no more than 45 minutes (maybe less) to prepare the full dish.
I hope you try this twist on the traditional steak sauce recipe. I think you’ll love this oyster steak sauce and the wonderful taste it adds to a plain steak. It’s tasty and kid/hubby approved.
- 2 - 3lb Steak (I use Tri-tip)
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 3-4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic (use more if you like garlic)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (optional)
1. Twenty minutes before cooking, take steaks out of the refrigerator and season with salt and pepper. Let rest on counter.
Oyster Steak Basting Sauce
2. Combine 1/3 cup soy sauce, 3T. sugar, 2T. oyster sauce, and garlic into a bowl. Set aside. This is your basting sauce.
3. Heat grill and broil steak. Baste with the sauce at least two to three times per side. Remove from heat and let rest.
Oyster Steak Finishing Sauce
4. Combine 1/4 cup soy sauce, 3 tsp. sugar, 2 tsp. oyster sauce, and 2 T. butter in a pot. Heat on medium until it starts to bubble. Add cornstarch and stir till it thickens. Remove from heat and set aside.
5. Cut steak into strips and drizzle thickened sauce over it. Serve.
6. Cut steak into strips and drizzle thickened sauce over it. Serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.