Are you ready to start the new year with a clean and organized home? I am! I don’t know what it is, but the beginning of a new year fills me with the need to clean and organize my home. And if you have the urge to clean your home too, I invite you to join me for a 2017 Kitchen Cleaning & Organization Challenge!
Here are a few things to know about this challenge. First, instead of trying to complete an entire home in one to two months, each room will be given up to 30 days for a thorough cleaning AND organizing. I’ll be starting with the kitchen and posting a new room challenge every two weeks for those that finish early. Second, this challenge will be a self-paced cleaning and organization challenge. Why self-paced? Because cleaning and organizing can be stressful! So work on tasks at your own pace, in any order, and only when you have the time to complete them. Save large time-consuming tasks for the weekends or when you have help. Finally, do what works for you and your home. If any of the ideas listed below don’t work for you, skip it and try something else.
30 Day Kitchen Cleaning & Organizing
Below you will find the 30 Day Kitchen Cleaning & Organizing Printable, tips, product links, and links to the best kitchen cleaning and organizing ideas on the web.
To use the checklist, pick a day to start the challenge and give yourself 30 days to complete all the tasks. For example, if you are starting on 1/14, you have until 2/14 to finish all this and any other challenge.
Things to Think About Before Starting…
- Make a plan. Write down cabinets you want to rearrange or swap around. Buy or craft items needed to organize your kitchen (my favorites are listed below).
- Cleaning experts suggest starting from the top down (I like to start with organizing before getting into to hardcore cleaning). Clean lights, cabinets, and anything high first. This way any dirt or dust that falls down won’t land on already cleaned items and can easily be swept up later.
- Have one open area to place items that need to be organized.
- Have cleaning supplies needed for the tasks.
- If adding storage, think about buying plastic (see the baskets I use below) or glass because it’s easier to clean and wash off kitchen grime that accumulates on them.
Kitchen Cleaning Tips
How to Clean Your Oven with 3 Household Ingredients via The Kolb Corner
- How to Clean a Greasy Stove Hood Filter via One Good Thing by Jillee
- How to: Deep Clean Your Refrigerator (With Disinfectant + Deordorizer) via Hello Glow
- Domestic Science: How to Clean a Dishwasher via Remodelista
- Easy to Make Homemade Kitchen Cabinet Cleaner (with video) via EHow
Kitchen Organization Ideas
Kitchen Organization Tips: 10 Genius Tricks via Housewife HOW-TOS
How to Conquer Your Junk Drawer for Good via Simply Stacie
- Kitchen Organization Ideas and Hacks via Landeelu
- 20 Organizers for a Picture Perfect Pantry via HGTV – I use many of these ideas
My Favorite Items for Pantry/Kitchen Organization
Now, go and have fun in the kitchen…cleaning & organizing!