Transition to fall and match any decor by making your own DIY Fall Fabric Pumpkin.
It’s time for the August Pin Challenge! The purpose of the Pinterest Challenge is to motivate us to not just pin, but to make it happen (see the other host projects at the end)! This month’s challenge is all about fall projects, so I chose to follow this pin —>> DIY Fabric Pumpkin Tutorial found on my Holidays – Thanksgiving Pinterest Board.
What I like about making my own DIY Fall Fabric Pumpkin is that it’s easy to customize. Since my decor is sort of tropical, I decided to use some leftover tropical fabric from another project, so it blends in with my home. Also, since I already had everything on hand, I made use of craft supplies that were collecting dust and didn’t spend a dime – woot, woot!
- Cut tree branch (pumpkin stem)
- Embroidery thread
- Stuffing (Fiberfill)
- Glue Gun/glue sticks
- Needles - sewing needle & long doll/upholstry needle
- Cutting mat
- Sewing machine
- Fold fabric and cut folded fabric to measure 9" x 18". This will create a tube for a 6" - 7" tall finished pumpkin.
- With right sides of fabric facing each other, sew the long 18" side with a 1/4" seam.
- On one of the short sides, add a running stitch about 1/4" from the edge. Pull to gather and tie off the thread.
- Turn pumpkin inside out. Densely fill with stuffing/fiberfill. If not enough stuffing is used, it will create a lot of wrinkles on the pumpkin sides.
- Add running stitch along top of the pumpkin opening. Gather and tie a knot to close.
- Thread the doll/upholstry needle with embroidery thread. Pull it through the bottom of the pumpkin to the top. Knot the bottom end of the embroidery thread. Bring the needle and thread back to the bottom and continue doing this to make the sections of the pumpkin. Tip: If you want defined sections, pull tight. If you don't want wrinkles on the pumpkin, don't pull the embroidery thread tight.
- Cut an appropriate sized tree branch for the stem (mine is about 4"). Glue into place.
- I made this with a regular 4" needle, but I would highly recommend a 6" or longer doll/upholstry needle. It would make assembly safer and easier.
- I probably could have stuffed this pumpkin a bit more, which would have made a taller 8" to 10" pumpkin.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- FLBER Banana Leaf Wall Tapestry Home Decor,60"x 80",Twin Size
- AdTech 0453 2-Temp Dual Temperature Hot Glue Gun Full Size, White
- 2 Pack Premium Sewing Scissors Set (9.5 INCH), Tailor Scissors Heavy Duty Multi-Purpose
- Embroidery Floss Rainbow Color 50 Skeins Per Pack Cross Stitch Threads Friendship Bracelets Floss Crafts Floss
- 20 Pack 6.8Inch/17.5cm Long Sewing Needles, Embroidery Needles Large Eye Stitching Needles for Quilting Darning Bead Loom Beading Doll Making Sewing Art Crafts
For more Pinterest inspired projects from this month’s Pinterest Challenge hosts, check out the links below ↓
My Pinterventures • Cookies Coffee and Crafts
Farm Girl Reformed • Slices of Life
Decorate and More with Tip • Purple Hues and Me
Life Beyond Kitchen • Mom Home Guide
Our Good Life
Pretty DIY Home • Elle Marie Home • Create with Cynthia
Now, let’s see what the other hosts have created ⇓⇓