Since we’re staying in this year, I’ve kept our Halloween decorating to a bare minimum. This easy to make Pumpkin Face Shadow Box can be made in 30 minutes or less and can easily be changed out for each season.
It’s time for the September Pin Challenge! The purpose of the Pinterest Challenge is to motivate us to not just pin, but to make it happen! This month’s challenge is all about Pumpkins or Halloween. Since I made a DIY Fall Fabric Pumpkin last month, I decided to do a simple Halloween craft for this month’s challenge. The pin that inspired this craft can be found here –>> Framed Pumpkins.
Pumpkin Face Shadow Box
Before I get to the ‘how-to’ of this project, I want to tell you why I love these shadow box crafts. Shadow boxes can be reused and only the inserts need to be changed out. This makes it one of the easiest and fastest ways to update your home decor each season. Also, the inserts don’t take up much storage space, so that’s a plus too.
Since I love shadow box decorating, I purchased a 3 pack of 8″ x 8″ frames from Michaels Craft Stores and use one with a beach theme (fits my home decor) for the majority of the time and the other two I change out from time to time with each season. You can see some examples below…
Here’s a summer shadow box example.
Here’s a St. Patrick’s Day Shadow Box. This shadow box was displayed with a collage of frames at our entryway and is constantly being changed out for each season. For Halloween, this will be the spot for our new Pumpkin Face Shadow Box.
- 1 - 8"x 8" Shadow Box
- card stock paper in your color choice
- tissue paper in your color choice
- wood twig (optional for pumpkin stem)
- mini LED lights (I used purple)
- Tools if using a cut machine:
- cut machine
- paper trimmer
- pumpkin face pattern
- Tools if cutting by hand:
- scissors or Exacto knife (adults only)
- Using a paper trimmer, cut the card stock paper to fit into the 8" x 8" shadow box frame. Use the scissors to cut the tissue paper to the same size. If you don't have a paper trimmer, use a scissor to cut both.
- Use a pumpkin face pattern from your cut machine design store or create your own to fit onto the 8" x 8" paper and cut out. If you don't have a cut machine, you can draw on a face by hand and cut with a scissors/Exacto knife. Use a ruler to help guide the Exacto knife if needed.
- Remove the insert of the shadow box frame and place the cut pumpkin face and tissue paper into the frame.
- Optional - If you want the pumpkin face to be illuminated, take the LED lights and tape it onto the shadow box insert and place it back into the frame.
- Optional - Cut a twig to create a small pumpkin stem and place it on top of the frame. I don't glue it, since I constantly reuse the frame for each season, but you can glue it in place if you like.
- Single packs of LED mini lights can be purchased at most craft stores.
- Shadow boxes were purchased at Michaels craft stores in a 3 pack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Silhouette Cameo 4 with Bluetooth, 12x12 Cutting mat, AutoBlade 2, 100 Designs and Silhouette Studio Software - Black Edition
Cricut Explore Air 2 Machine Bundle Beginner Guide, Tool Kit, Vinyl Pack, Designs and Project Inspiration
CraftMore Black Shadow Box Frame 8x8 Inch
CYLAPEX 6 Pack Purple Fairy Lights Battery Operated String Lights
For more Pinterest inspired projects from this month’s Pinterest Challenge hosts, check out the links below ↓
My Pinterventures • Cookies Coffee and Crafts
Farm Girl Reformed • Slices of Life • Sew Crafty Crochet
Decorate and More with Tip • Purple Hues and Me
Life Beyond Kitchen • Mom Home Guide
Our Good Life • Sum of their Stories
Now, let’s see what the other hosts have created ⇓⇓