Welcome to the 2017 Ornament Exchange & Blog Hop and Sparkly Wood Slice Ornament Tutorial! This year, there are 47 amazing bloggers participating in the exchange. The rules of the challenge were simple: be partnered with a fellow blogger, create a handmade ornament for $15 or under, create a tutorial, and ship the ornament off to a new home!
Meet the 2017 Ornament Exchange Hosts
Roseann ⋅ This Autoimmune Life Angela ⋅ Simply Beautiful by Angela
[Tweet “Sparkly Wood Slice Ornament Tutorial and 120+ Handmade ornament turotials. #2017ornamentexchange #christmasornaments #handmade”]
Sparkly Wood Slice Ornament Tutorial
This year, I was partnered with Trisha from Rosewood and Grace. Her style is traditional with gold, wood, red or black (buffalo plaid). I was really excited to create an ornament for her because I’ve been sitting on a couple of birch wood logs, which became the perfect medium for her one-of-a-kind sparkly wood slice ornament.
- wood slices
- white chalk paint
- printer/printer paper
- charcoal pencil
- paint brush
- black waterproof ink pen (Faber-Castell fine tip F)
- thin twine
- buffalo check ribbon – 2 sizes
- plain ribbon
- Mini pine cone and berries
- Screw-in eye hooks
- drill with small drill bit (optional)
- Glitter Mod Podge (optional)
- Glitter – white and flakes (optional)
- Paint the center of the wood slice with white chalk paint, leaving about 1/4″ distance from the edge. Let dry.
- Add the screw-in eye hook to the top of the wood slice. If it’s hard to screw in, use a drill to start the hole.
- Cut a long piece of twine to hang the ornament. String through the eye hook and tie.
- Design your quote on PicMonkey, making sure to reverse the image. If you want to use mine, grab the printable here.
- Take the charcoal pencil and draw over the printable.
- Center the printable on the wood slice, charcoal side down. Rub with the end of the paint brush handle to transfer the charcoal tracing to the wood surface.
- Trace over the charcoal with the waterproof pen.
I added glitter Mod Podge on the ornament for a bit of sparkle, but skip this part if you do not want any glitter.
- Optional – Paint the front of the wood slice with glitter Mod Podge. Let dry.
- Optional – Dot sides of the wood slice with Mod Podge and press white and flake glitter into it. Let dry.
- Cut the thickest ribbon to span the size of the wood slice. Cut each of the other two ribbons slightly smaller than the other. Stack the ribbons on top of each other with thickest on the bottom. Tightly tie the ribbons together in the center and tie or glue to the bottom of the eye hook.
- To prevent ribbon fray, add a bit of glue to the ends of the ribbon.
- Glue on mini pine cones and berries to the front of the wood slice.
Now it’s ready to hang on the tree!
FIND ALL 47 HANDMADE ORNAMENT TUTORIALS BELOW AND SHARE YOUR ORNAMENT TOO! Use Hashtag #2017OrnamentExchange so we can see your creations on social media.