Even if you’re still dealing with the hot summer weather, you’ll want to save this soft rice and chicken porridge recipe for when the weather starts to cool down for fall.
This rice and chicken porridge is a spin on a simple rice porridge my grandmother made for me when I was sick, called Okayu in Japanese. It’s literally just cooked rice, water, and salt…that’s it! Super simple, but it got me through some of my sickest moments when I couldn’t hold down solid food. In fact, I now make this rice porridge when my family is sick, when I want something quick to eat, or when I need a dish for leftover rice.
What I love about rice porridge is that it’s a comfort food and only takes about 30-minutes. In addition, my version of soft rice porridge has carrots and chicken for added nutrition…bonus! It’s also a great full-proof recipe that’s easy to customize to the ingredients in your fridge and your personal taste. So please, feel free to change the ingredients to your liking.
Soft Rice and Chicken Porridge
This porridge was made with leftover rice (Japanese medium grain), two leftover BBQ chicken thighs that were rinsed clean of any BBQ sauce, and half of a chopped carrot. See, I made this with what I had in my fridge. Of course, you can easily substitute rotisserie chicken, baked chicken, boiled chicken, etc… Another thing to note, this is a thick porridge. A stick to your ribs kind of porridge, but you can add more liquid if you prefer it thinner.
To start, I added 2 chicken bouillon cubes to 3 1/2 cups of hot water to dissolve. While the bouillon cubes were dissolving, I chopped up two cooked chicken thighs into small pieces. Next, I peeled and chopped a tiny bit of carrot (optional).
Note: I usually use homemade chicken stock as it’s easier to control the salt content. Since I was out, I substituted with water/bouillon cubes.
Add 2 cups of cooked rice, cooked sliced chicken, and chopped carrots to a small pot over medium heat. Now, add about 2 cups of the chicken bouillon liquid to the pot and cook until the rice starts to thicken (about 10 minutes). Add in the remaining liquid or add a bit at a time until you get a consistency you prefer.
Note: If the 3 1/2 cups of liquid isn’t enough, add an additional 1/4 cup of water at a time until you get the consistency you like. Taste and add salt or soy sauce to taste.
That is all it takes to make a soft rice and chicken porridge! A quick-n-easy staple during the fall or flu season!
- 2 cups cooked white rice - Japanese medium grain is used
- 3 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 cubes chicken bouillon
- 2 chicken thighs,shredded - can use more or less
- 1/4 small carrot, chopped - optional, very little is needed
- Add bouillon cubes to the 3 1/2 cup of hot water and stir to dissolve. Set aside.
- In a pot, combine rice, chicken, carrots, and 2 cups of the bouillon liquid. Turn the heat on to medium and simmer for about 10 minutes or until it starts to boil, stirring in between. Add the remaining bouillon liquid and bring back to a boil, about 3-4 minutes. Cover and reduce heat to medium low. Continue to cook for another 10 -15 minutes. Cook longer if you want the rice 'softer'. Let cool slightly and serve!
- This can be made with just rice and water or rice and chicken stock for a flu season porridge.
- 3 1/2 cups of water/bouillon can be substituted with homemade chicken stock.
- If the porridge it too thick to your liking, add 1/4 cup of water at a time until you get a consistency you like. Taste and add salt or soy sauce.
- Substitute vegetables and protein to your liking.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Nishiki Premium Rice, Medium Grain, 240 Oz, Pack of 1
Spring Chef Box Grater, Stainless Steel with 4 Sides, Best for Parmesan Cheese, Vegetables, Ginger, Large Size
JapanBargain 2384x4, Set of 4 Asian Japanese Chinese Wonton Soba Rice Pho Ramen Noodle Soup Spoons, Black/Red
Japanese miso soup cup rice bowl Japanese food cup bowl mug with lid 4set.Dishwasher OK.7.0oz,Washoku tableware.Made in JAPAN.
TIGER JBV-A10U 5.5-Cup (Uncooked) Micom Rice Cooker with Food Steamer Basket, White
Hiware Thick Heavy-weight Soup Spoons, Stainless Steel Soup Spoons, Table Spoons, Set of 4
Cuisinart MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 2-Quart Saucepan with Cover