This past weekend my brother-in-law held a friends and family get-together at his home. He loves to entertain and is good at keeping the menu simple while still having tasty food. One of the side dishes that my kids really enjoyed at this gathering was his Simple Imitation Crab and Potato Salad recipe, which is no surprise since my kids LOVE anything with potatoes as the main ingredient.
Now, my brother-in-law doesn’t use measurements for this recipe and goes by taste. So, I had to take a large sample home for research purposes and to make sure I got the flavors just right – hee-hee! And I’m glad to report that after several taste comparisons, I finally pinned down the ingredient measurements!
Simple Imitation Crab and Potato Salad Recipe
You can’t have a good crab and potato salad without good potatoes. I like to wash and halve the potatoes before placing them into a large pot of salted water. Boil until fork tender and drain. Chop the potatoes into large 1″ cubes and add to a large mixing bowl. Don’t worry if the skin start to come off, add those into the salad too.
Next, add shredded crab. I used my food processor in this shot, which resulted in pieces that were too small. The salad still tasted great, but I prefer shredding by hand or rough chopping the crab for bigger chunks.
Here’s the secret ingredient to this salad – McCormick Salad Supreme. I found out my brother-in-law hoards this stuff and literally buys bottles of this stuff. Add this seasoning with mayo into the mix and the magic starts to happen. FYI – I used almost half the bottle in this recipe. Don’t freak out at the amount used as this is the only seasoning I used in this salad. I didn’t add any salt or pepper, although you can choose to add those if you want.
Add green onions and finely chopped red onions (optional for those that are onion sensitive). Mix everything together. If you prefer a creamier potato salad, add a bit more mayo until you get the consistency you like. Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator overnight to let the flavors blend together.
When you’re ready to serve this simple crab and potato salad, garnish with a few more dashes of McCormick Salad Supreme and dig in!
- 10 cups cubed red potatoes (approximately 10 -12 medium red potatoes)
- 16oz imitation crab (shredded)
- 3 cups mayo (Add up to a 1 cup more if you prefer it creamier)
- 6 stalks chopped green onion (chopped to 3/8")
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 4 tablespoons McCormick Salad Supreme seasoning (sprinkle on more when serving)
- 2 tablespoons salt (for potato water)
- Optional - salt/pepper to taste if needed
- Wash and cut potatoes in half. Place potatoes and 2 T. salt in a large pot of water. Bring to a boil, lower heat and boil for another 15 minutes or until potatoes are just fork tender. Drain potatoes in a colander. Cut potatoes into large 1" cubes and place in a large mixing bowl. Don't worry about the skins coming off. The skins will go into the salad too. Set aside.
- Shred the imitation crab, chop the green onions and red onion, and add it to the mixing bowl. Add salad supreme seasoning and mayo to the bowl. Mix everything together. Optional - add salt/pepper to taste. Refrigerate overnight or for several hours until cool. This will allow all the flavors to mix.
- When serving, sprinkle on a little more salad supreme on top of the salad to garnish.
- Salt and pepper are optional as the McCormick Salad Supreme seasoning is usually enough to season the salad.
- The red onions can also be omitted for those that do not like onions.
- If you want big chunks of crab in the salad, shred only half the package of crab and coarse chop the remaining half.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Santoku Knife - imarku 7 inch Kitchen Knife Ultra Sharp German HC Stainless Steel
Totally Bamboo 3-Piece Bamboo Cutting Board Set, 3 Assorted Sizes
McCormick Perfect Pinch Salad Supreme Seasoning, 8.25 Oz (Packaging May Vary)
Good Cook 3-Piece Mixing Spoons Set
Superior Glass Mixing Bowls with Lids - 8 Piece Mixing Bowl Set with BPA- Free lids
Cuisinart 76610-26G Chef's Classic 10-Quart Stockpot with Glass Cover,Brushed Stainless