Pork Hash – Pork & Shrimp Shumai
|Serves||40 - 50 pieces|
|Prep time||20 minutes|
|Cook time||15 minutes|
|Total time||35 minutes|
|Meal type||Appetizer, Side Dish, Snack|
Tasty pork and shrimp bite sized dumplings - Hawaii pork hash or shumai.
- 1 Pound ground pork
- 1 Pound shrimp (peeled, deveined, and chopped)
- 4 Large shiitake mushroom (soaked and chopped)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 Cup (heaped) water chestnut (chopped)
- 1/4 Cup (heaped) green onions (chopped)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sherry
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger (finely grated)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Package round dumpling wrappers
- Place filling in the refrigerator to firm up to make it easier to handle.
- For a less chunky filling, use a food processor to mince/chop the shrimp.
- If the shiitake mushrooms are small, use 6.
- A rice cooker steamer can be used to steam the pork hash.
- The pork hash is best freshly cooked, but can be frozen uncooked and steamed when ready. Otherwise, cook all the pork hash, cool, and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To warm, cover with a damp cloth and reheat in the microwave.
- Unused dumpling wrappers can be frozen.
- Can make up to 50 - 60 pork hash if wrappers are filled with less filling. This will require two packages of wrappers.
|Choose a pot or pan that your steamer will fit nicely on. Fill it with water and bring to a boil. Line the steamer with cabbage/lettuce or parchment paper with cut out holes.|
|Prep the all the ingredients that need to be chopped or grated. Add the prepped ingredients and the remaining filling ingredients into a large bowl and mix well. The filling should look sticky and pasty.|
|Add about 2 teaspoons into the center of a dumpling wrapper and bring the sides of the wrapper up around the filling. Use the spoon to push down the filling into the wrapper. Place the pork hash into the steamer and push down slightly to create a flat bottom. Leave about a 1 inch space between each pork hash. Cover and steam for 12 -15 minutes. Serve hot with your favorite sauce.|