Love potato salad but want something new? Try this Mayo-free Capers Potato Salad for a summer side dish with a bit of tang.
This recipe was inspired by my son’s dislike of mayo and a Greek Potato Salad in the William-Sonoma Vegetable of the Day cook book. The original recipe used a few ingredients that I didn’t have on-hand and some that my kids didn’t like, so what did I do? I changed a few of the ingredients and added a few more that resulted in a keeper!
Mayo-free Capers Potato Salad
Now, this isn’t a whimpy kind of potato salad with teeny tiny bits of potato. No, this potato salad has big chunks of potatoes.
And these chunks of potatoes are seasoned with an oil and vinegar mix, capers, chopped celery leaves, green onions, and lemon zest for a fresh and light summer side dish.
This mayo-free capers potato salad can be served at room temperature, chilled, or slightly warmed. Enjoy!
Tangy Capers Potato Salad is a great alternative for a mayo-free potato salad. It has a tangy flavor from vinegar and capers with freshness from celery leaves and lemon zest.
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked red potatoes cut into 1" cubes
- 1 1/2 tbsp capers drained and pressed of juices
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 3-4 stalks chopped green onions
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh celery leaves sub with parsley
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Peel and cut potatoes in half. Place in a large pot with water to cover the potatoes by 1" - 2" and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium high and cook until just tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes. Drain the potatoes, let cool, and cut into 1" cubes. Place cubes into a large mixing bowl.
- Prep the capers. Drain the juices by pressing the capers against the measuring spoon to remove the liquids. If the capers are large, coarsely chop to make smaller, If the capers are small, leave it as-is. Set aside for later.
In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar, coriander, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Pour the mix over the potatoes and add the capers, chopped celery leaves, green onions, and lemon zest. Mix until the potatoes are thoroughly coated. Place in the fridge for 20 -30 minutes or overnight before serving.
- Prep and cook time does not reflect chill time of 20 - 30 minutes.
- Add more celery and green onions to taste.