Items used in this post were sent complimentary from Oriental Trading. All opinions of the products used are my own.
Love unique ornaments? Here’s a fun tropical Christmas Luau Beach Ball Ornament that brings a little sunshine to the holiday season! It’s also the ornament I created for Michelle of Coastal Bohemian, my Ornament Exchange partner!
Thanks to Oriental Trading, I was able to create this Luau Santa Beach Ball Ornament for Michelle. And for a LIMITED TIME, Oriental Trading is offering FREE SHIPPING on any order using my link and code SQUAD19. The offer ends tonight, 11/14/19, at 12am CST. Use this offer to get supplies to create this ornament or stock up on your holiday decor, party supplies, party games, gifts, and more! To see the ornament Michelle sent me, watch the video! It’s the white sand pail and mini surfboard ornament. You’ll also get a peek at the other DIY ornaments on the tree too! Find the tutorials for the Painted Container Pineapples, Glittered Beach Sunglasses, and Tropical Cocktail Ornaments by clicking the linksLuau Santa Beach Ball Ornament tutorial.
Isn’t the tree fun? Did you see Michelle’s handmade ornaments?
Okay, let’s get to the Luau Beach Ball Ornament tutorial and don’t forget to head to the 2019 Ornament Exchange for tons of handmade ornament tutorials!
- Large DIY Clear Disc Ornaments
- Luau Santa Beverage Napkins
- Luau Christmas Sticker Scenes
- Matte Mod Podge
- White Acrylic Paint
- Beach fringe decoration (raffia table skirt)
- Dura-lar or thin plastic sheet
- Foam dots or white foam core board
- Mini Starfish
- small shells
- sea glass
- clear glitter or snow glitter
- Hot glue gun/glue sticks
- paint brush
- Open the clear disc ornament. Paint a thin coat of white paint on the side that has writing on it. Let dry and do another coat. Let dry. This step is necessary in order to keep the white portion of the napkin opaque. If you skip this, the white portion of the napkin will turn clear when Mod Podge is applied over it.
- Separate the 3-ply stripe napkin into a single layer. Cut the napkin into quarters, following the fold lines. Paint Mod Podge onto the white side of the ornament. Lay the napkin on the Mod Podge in a vertical position, colored side up. Use the paint brush and gently apply more Mod Podge over the top of the napkin. Brush from the middle out towards the sides of the ornament. Keep applying Mod Podge over the napkin until it is laying flat against the ornament backing. Let dry. There will be some folds. Just try to keep those folds towards the bottom of the ornament as this will be hidden by sand.
- There are two ways to do this part. 1. Take the painted side of the ornament, place it on the Dura-Lar, trace it and cut out. It may need to be trimmed smaller to fit just inside the lip of the ornament. Arrange stickers in the center of the plastic circle. Pro - less sand is used. Con - you may have to trim several times to get a proper fit. 2. Apply the stickers to the Dura-Lar and cut around it, leaving a 1/4" edge around the stickers. Pro - easy to do. Con - use more sand.
- I use dollar store foam board cut into 1/2" x 3/4" rectangles, times 3x. Take the foam rectangles and glue them together in the middle of the Mod Podge side of the ornament. Let dry. Another option is to use adhesive foam dots. Place glue on the top of the foam and place the sticker cut-out on top. Make sure the bottom of the sticker hovers no more than 1/2" from the bottom. This is where the sand will cover so the stickers look like they are sitting on the sand.
- Take the clear side of the ornament and scoop up some sand. It should be enough to just cover the bottom edge of the stickers. Optional - add glitter, mini starfish, sea glass, and small shells. Take the Mod Podge side of the ornament and place over the sand side. Make sure to line up the ornament holes. Press together firmly to shut. Check the level of the sand to make sure it comes to the bottom of the stickers. If it doesn't, carefully separate the pieces and add more sand or remove sand as needed.
- Trim the raffia table skirt to be 1/2" long. This will be the trim. I cut 12" at a time. Save the cut raffia to make the ornament loops and for other projects.
- Apply hot glue to the sides of the ornament in small sections. Press on the trimmed raffia down onto the glue. Continue to do this until the entire circumference of the ornament has trim. Cut the raffia trim to fit and let the glue dry. Take a cut raffia strip and pull it through the ornament hole and make a hanging loop.
- Clear plastic containers can be used in place of Dura-Lar.
- If you don't want to Mod Podge the back with a napkin, just paint it a color you like.
- Keep any raffia that is cut from the table skirt to make the hanging loops for the ornaments.
- Foam dots can be substituted with regular cut foam core boards from the dollar store that you cut to size and glue together.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. I do not earn from Oriental Trading links, but purchases through my links are tracked so I can continue bringing more fun tutorials.
Large DIY Clear Disc Ornaments
Luau Christmas Sticker Scenes
Luau Santa Beverage Napkins | Oriental Trading
Grafix P05DC0912 Clear .005 Dura-Lar Film, 9-Inch by 12-Inch, 25 Sheets
AmazonBasics Multipurpose Office Scissors - 3-Pack
Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L Scrapbook Adhesives, Permanent Pre-Cut 3D Foam Squares, White, Mixed Variety (Pack of 217)
DecoArt DA-01 Americana Acrylic Paint, 2-Ounce, Titanium White
2 Pounds Natural Decorative Real Sand - for Interior Decor, Vase Filler, Sand Crafts and More
Crafts 4 ALL Paint Brushes Set 10 Pieces Professional Fine Tip Paint Brush Set
Hot Glue Gun, Cobiz Full Size (Not Mini) 60/100W Dual Power High Temp Heavy Duty Melt Glue Gun Kit
Mod Podge CS11301 8-Ounce, Matte
Beach Fringe Decoration | Oriental Trading
Pacon Spectra Glitter Sparkling Crystals, Clear, 4-Ounce Jar (91830)
Sulyn 0.8oz. Glitter Flakes - Crystal
About 700-800 Pcs Small Sea Shell Ocean for Crafts Beach Spiral Seashells, Home Decoration, Beach Theme Party Wedding Decor, Fish Tank Vase Fille, Length 7-12mm
Mini Natural Sugar Starfish