It’s summer. The kids are home, they’re hungry, and you need a super quick-n-easy meal. This giant pizza roll recipe is the perfect solution!
A giant pizza roll is essentially a pizza rolled up. Okay, I know you’re probably thinking that it would be easier to just leave it as a flat pizza, right? Well, the reason I prefer a giant pizza roll is because my kids are pizza dippers. Meaning, they love dipping their pizza in Ranch dressing or extra pizza sauce. And a rolled pizza makes for easier dipping since the toppings are nicely wrapped INSIDE the dough. No more toppings falling off or worrying about a floppy crust. Just slice the giant pizza roll and dip!
Giant Pizza Roll Ingredients
To make this a super quick and easy meal, I buy pre-made pizza dough at my local grocery store and use our favorite Classico four cheese spaghetti sauce. Of course, you can use your own pizza dough recipe and pizza sauce if you prefer. Also, keep in mind that you don’t have to stick the ingredients here. Feel free to customize your giant pizza roll to your family’s taste. Think outside the box…make a cheeseburger pizza roll, breakfast pizza roll, or maybe an Asian inspired pizza roll. The flavor combo possibilities are endless.
Roll the Dough & Sauce It!
The beginning steps to making this giant pizza roll is almost like making a regular pizza. Roll out the dough into a large square’ish’ form that is about 16″ x 16″ in width. Spread the sauce all over the dough, leaving at least an 1″ around three edges and 2″around the farthest edge.
Sprinkle on the cheese, veggies, and meats. Then, starting at the edge closest to you, start to roll the pizza up.
For this pizza roll, I cooked 5 ounces of fresh spinach and drained the liquid before adding it to the filling. In the past, I’ve also stuffed the pizza roll with onions, bell peppers, and mushrooms…yum!
How to Roll It Up!
Make sure to roll the giant pizza so that the seam is on the bottom and tuck the ends of the pizza dough under itself. Pinch the seams so make sure the dough is sealed.
Use a knife and cut vents onto the top side of the giant pizza roll. Don’t forget to do this as this will prevent the giant pizza roll from exploding.
Just an FYI, the under side of this particular pizza roll popped a bit because I didn’t make my vents big enough. So don’t skimp on the vents! 🙂
Dress it with Seasoned Butter!
Oh, and don’t skip brushing the outside of the dough with seasoned butter! It’s soooo good and gives the dough extra goodness.
Now it’s time to pop it into the oven and bake! I like to place the giant pizza roll on a pizza stone, but you can bake it on a baking sheet too.
Slice & Serve!
This is the hardest part, especially for hungry kids. Take the giant pizza roll out of the oven and let it cool for 15 – 20 minutes because the inside is going to be like molten lava and we don’t want scorched tongues. Once it’s cooled, slice it up and serve with extra sauce or Ranch dressing (my kids’ favorite).
What would you put in your giant pizza roll?
- 1 pre-made pizza dough ball
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup Classico four cheese spaghetti sauce (substitute with pizza sauce)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup cooked pork sausage
- sliced pepperoni (about 15 - 20 slices)
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Optional - 5 oz. fresh spinach, cooked and liquid drained
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. If you have a pizza stone, place that in the oven to heat up.
- Roll out the pizza dough into an 16" x 16" square'ish' circle. Spread the sauce all over the dough, leaving at least an 1" around three edges and 2"around the farthest edge. Sprinkle on the cheese, spinach, cooked sausage, and pepperoni.
- Then, starting at the edge closest to you, start rolling the pizza. Make sure to roll the pizza so that the seam is on the bottom. Next, tuck the ends of the pizza dough under itself. Pinch the seams so make sure the dough is sealed. Use a knife and cut vents onto the top side of the giant pizza roll.
- Mix together melted butter, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning. Brush all over the outside of the pizza roll. Transfer pizza roll onto the pizza stone and bake for 15 -20 minutes or until golden brown. If you do not have a pizza stone, transfer the pizza roll to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 - 20 minutes and slice. Serve with extra pizza sauce or Ranch dressing.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Non-slip Silicone Pastry Mat Extra Large with Measurements 28''By 20''
Non-Stick Rolling Pin for Baking , Professional Dough Roller 16.5” by 2.2”
CastElegance Theramite Durable Pizza and Baking Stone for Oven and Grill, Includes Recipe E-Book & Cleaning Scraper, 14 inch Round, 5/8th inch Thick, Circular Design
Mercer Culinary Genesis 8-Inch Bread Knife
Hidden Valley Ranch - 2/40 Oz. Btls.