What do you do when life gives you strawberries and lemons? You make this easy strawberry lemonade!
Recently, my youngest daughter went strawberry picking and came home with a giant bucket of strawberries. These strawberries came at the perfect time because I had a bunch of lemons that I needed to use before they went bad. And since the weather has been inching close to triple digits, I thought a refreshing summer drink was in order.
I love this strawberry lemonade and have made it more times than I can count. The combination of strawberries and lemons makes for a delicious fresh drink that can replace store-bought lemonade mixes.
This strawberry lemonade is easy to make, and the possibilities are endless when it comes to variations. To change things up, try adding fresh mint or basil, a splash of strawberry-flavored vodka, or even strawberry Moscato (which I am going to try next time).
Strawberry Lemonade Ingredients
- Fresh strawberries – This strawberry lemonade uses 1 1/2 cup of fresh chopped strawberries. Pick baskets/containers with bright red and ripe strawberries for the best strawberry flavor. Optional to use leftover strawberries for garnish.
- Lemons – About 8 – 10 small lemons will be used for freshly squeezed lemon juice. Pick up more lemons if you want to use some as garnish.
- Water – If possible, use filtered water for making the drink and for the simple syrup.
- Ice – This recipe uses crushed ice to chill the drink and for serving the strawberry lemonade.
- Sugar – Use to make the simple syrup to sweeten the strawberry lemonade.
Kitchen Items to Make Strawberry Lemonade
- Blender – Use to puree strawberries. If you don’t have a blender, the strawberries can be mashed.
- Juicer – To juice lemons for fresh lemon juice.
- Strainer – To strain pureed strawberries and lemon juice.
- Spatula – Use to help push pureed strawberries through a strainer and to mix the strawberry lemonade.
- Bowl – Needed to capture strained strawberry puree.
- Measuring cups & spoons – Use to measure ingredients.
- Pitcher – A 2 quart pitcher or larger is needed to hold the strawberry lemonade drink.
How to Make Strawberry Lemonade
Make Simple Syrup
In a pot over medium heat, add 1 cup sugar and 1 cup filtered water. Bring to a boil, occasionally stirring, until all the sugar is dissolved. Turn off the heat. Let the syrup cool and set it aside for later. This will be used to sweeten the strawberry lemonade drink.
Prepare the Strawberries
Place 1 1/2 cup quartered strawberries into a blender with 2T. water and blend till smooth. Add about half the blended strawberries into a strainer placed over a bowl. Use a spatula to push the strawberry puree through the strainer. Repeat this process with the remaining strawberry puree. Discard the strawberry seeds. Set aside the strained strawberry liquid.
Squeeze the Lemons
Halve lemons and juice the lemons until there is 1 1/4 cups of freshly squeezed lemon juice. If needed, strain pulp and seeds. Discard pulp and seeds and set aside the strained lemon juice.
Mixing the Strawberries and Lemons
Add 4 cups of ice to a pitcher. Then, add in the strained strawberry, lemon juice, 1 cup of simple syrup (add more for a sweeter taste), and 4 cups of filtered water. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
Add ice to cups. Pour in strawberry lemonade. Garnish with a strawberry or lemon slice. Serve and enjoy!
- 1 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, cut in half or quartered
- 1 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (about 8 - 10 small lemons)
- 4 cups water + 2 T. water
- 4 cups ice, crushed + more for serving
- 1 1/3 cup fresh strawberries, cut in half or quartered
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- In a pot over medium heat, add 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve all the sugar crystals. Turn heat off and set aside to cool.
- In a blender, add strawberries and 2 T. water. Blend until fully pureed.
- Place a strainer over a bowl and pour half of the strawberry puree into it. Use a spatula to strain and push through the puree. Scrape off any liquid on the underside of the strainer. Continue to do this until there is no more strawberry liquid coming through the strainer. Discard the seeds left in the strainer and repeat the process with the remaining pureed strawberries.
- Measure out 2/3 cup of the strawberry liquid and set it aside for later.
- Cut lemons in half. Juice until there is 1 1/4 cups of freshly squeezed lemon juice. If needed, strain out any pulp or seeds that may have gotten into the lemon juice. Set aside for later.
Assemble Strawberry Lemonade
- In a 2 quart or larger pitcher, add 4 cups of crushed ice. To the same pitcher, add the strawberry puree, 1 cup simple syrup (add 1/4 cup more if you prefer the drink sweeter), and the fresh-squeezed lemon juice. Stir to combine all the ingredients.
- To serve, add ice to cups. Pour in strawberry lemonade. Optional - garnish with fresh strawberries or lemon slices. Enjoy!
It's easy to adjust the flavor of this strawberry lemonade drink to your taste. Add more lemon juice for a lemon dominant flavor or more strawberries for a strawberry dominant flavor.
If you're feeling more adventurous, try adding some mint leaves. For an adult beverage, try adding strawberry-flavored vodka or strawberry Moscato.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Cutting Boards for Kitchen, Plastic Chopping Board Set of 4 with Non-Slip Feet and Deep Drip Juice Groove
3-Piece Nylon Kitchen Baking Knife Set: 3 Sizes & Colors/Firm Grip, Serrated Edges, BPA-Free
64 oz Pitcher and 4 Matching Tumblers
LocknLock BPA Free Plastic Pitcher with Flip Top Lid Perfect for Making Teas and Juices, 2 Quarts
Cuisinart CTG-00-3MS Set of 3 Fine Set of Mesh Strainers, 1, Stainless Steel
OXO Good Grips 2-in-1 Citrus Juicer