Create a tasty dessert without turning on your oven with this easy no-bake layered strawberry and chocolate icebox cake.
Every so often, I find a featured recipe in People magazine that I must make. This easy no-bake cake is inspired by Aaron Hutcherson of The Hungry Hutch blog. Since Valentine’s day, Easter, and Summer are all coming up, I thought this easy no-bake layered strawberry and chocolate icebox cake makes for an impressive elegant dessert with no baking skills needed!
The assembly of this cake easy is pretty simple. There aren’t any fancy ingredients and everything you need can be purchased at the grocery store. All you need are heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, strawberries, chocolate wafers, mini chocolate chips, and vanilla extract (optional). Note: The original recipe used balsamic vinegar in the whipped cream, but my kids thought it left a slight aftertaste, so I swapped it with vanilla extract.
Kitchen Tools & Bakeware
As far as equipment, I used a 9″ round spring pan (original recipe uses an 8″ spring pan), but a square 9″ x 9″ pan can be used too. Just make sure that the sides are at least 2 1/2″ to 3″ high to accomodate the layers of the cake. I also used a spatula, plastic wrap, mixing bowls, and a stand mixer (hand mixer is fine) to make this no-bake cake.
Small Portion Option
If you don’t need this large of a cake, consider scaling the recipe down and layering the same ingredients in individual cups, mugs, bowls, or a smaller sized pan. Tip: whipped cream will double when whipped, so 1 cup of heavy cream + 1/4 cup powdered sugar will produce about 2 cups of whipped cream, which should be enough for two small servings. Now, let’s get to the recipe!
How to Make an Easy No-Bake Layered Chocolate & Strawberry Icebox Cake
Once the pan is prepped, it’s really all about layered the ingredients. Super simple and a great dessert that you can make with the kids during the summer or any time of the year.
Easy No-Bake Layered Chocolate and Strawberry Icebox Cake
How to make an easy no-bake layered chocolate and strawberry icebox cake in a 9" springform pan.
- 3 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 - 9 oz, box Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers
- 2 - 16 oz. containers of fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced to 1/4" thickness
- 3/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9" springform pan with plastic wrap, making sure to leave about 2" to 3" overhange to help with removal of the cake to serve. If you don't have a springform pan, use a 9" x 9" square pan, making sure the edges are at least 2 1/2" to 3" high. Set prepared pan aside.
- Wash, dry, hull, and slice strawberries into 1/4" slices. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, add heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Whip on high speed for about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until stiff peaks form. If you don't have a stand mixer, use a hand held mixer. Set aside.
- First layer - Add a layer of chocolate wafers (about 14 total), overlapping a bit when needed. Use broken cookies to fill in large gaps or break two cookies to fill in gaps. Spread 1 1/2 cup of the whipped cream over the cookies with a spatula. Top with two layers of strawberries, followed by 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips. Top with another layer of 1 1/2 cup of whipped cream.
- Second layer - Repeat the layer of chocolate wafers, whipped cream, strawberries, mini chocolate chips, and whipped cream as in the first layer.
- Last layer - Repeat the layer of chocolate wafers, remaining 1 1/2 cup of whipped cream, one layer of strawberries, and mini chocolate chips. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 6 hours. If making a day ahead, do not add the mini chocolate chips to the top until ready to serve. This will prevent the chocolate from 'bleeding' with the juices from the strawberries.
- To serve, release the springfrom and peel down the plastic wrap. Cut slices and place on plates. Serve cold. Because of the fresh strawberries, it's best to eat the cake within 1-2 days.
The original recipe uses balsamic vinegar in the whipped cream for a bit of a tart flavor. If you want to add it into the whipped cream, use 1 T. + 2 tsp. in the whipped cream.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Wilton Aluminum Springform Pan, 9-Inch Round Pan for Cheesecakes and Pizza
Reynolds Kitchens Quick Cut Plastic Wrap, 225 Square Feet
Hershey's Semi-Sweet Mini Baking Chips - 12 oz - 2 pk
Lord Eagle Hand Mixer Electric, 400W Power handheld Mixer
KitchenAid(R) Artisan Design Series Stand Mixer, Sugar Pearl Silver