Have dinner on the table in a flash with this easy beef stroganoff recipe.
It’s also a great meal because it satisfies my hubby’s ‘must-have’ in every meal, which is meat or steak. You see, we always have tri tip steak in the freezer because it’s my hubby’s favorite thing to eat. If I left dinner up to him, we would have grilled steak 5 out of 7 days a week. While grilled steak is tasty, I like a little variety in our dinner menu. So instead of using a tougher chuck steak to make beef stroganoff, I use tri tip steak, which helps significantly cut down on the cook time.
Of course, if you have more time on your hands and want to cut down on the cost of the meal, you can still use an inexpensive round steak to make this beef stroganoff recipe. You’ll just need to simmer it for 1 1/2 hours to help get the meat tender.
- 1 T. canola oil
- 2 lb. tri tip steak strips, sliced thin* (1/8")
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small onion, sliced - optional
- 1 can cream of mushroom
- 1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
- 1 cup water, add additional 1/4 cup if needed
- 3/4 - 1 cup sour cream (add 1 cup if you love sour cream)
- salt and pepper to taste, if needed
- Trader Joe's Mushroom and Company Umami Seasoning, optional as garnish seasoning
- Parsley or Chives to garnish, optional
- If serving with pasta or rice, get this started first. Follow the cook instructions for the pasta or rice on the bag/box. Set aside when done. Tip: To help the pasta water boil faster, fill pot with hot water. Add 1 T. salt to water after it has started boiling. Note: I used 16 0z. Extra Wide Egg Noodles for this recipe, but have also served this with rice and other types of pasta.
- Heat oil a large pan over medium high heat. Add onions and cook for about 4-5 minutes or until the onions become slightly transparent.
- Add meat to the pan and cook just until the meat almost cooked through, about 3-4 minutes. The meat should still be slightly pink in the center.
- Add the cream soup, soup mix, mushrooms, and water to the pan. Stir to mix everything together and cook for another 8 minutes or until the mushrooms are slightly softened.
- Mix in sour cream and taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Turn off heat. If you want, garnish with Trader Joe's Mushroom seasoning and/or parsley. Serve over pasta or rice.
- *Round steak or other inexpensive cuts of beef can be substituted. If that is the case, you will need to cover and simmer the meat with the soup + water on medium low for about 1 1/2 hours to get the meat tender. Add additional water if sauce reduces too much. Then add in the mushrooms, cook for about 8 minutes. Then add in the sour cream just before serving.
- Onions can be left out since the onion mix does have onion flavor and bits of dehydrated onions.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.