We’re all about budget-friendly Halloween decor this year! So today, I’m sharing a DIY Black Twig Wreath that uses branches, glue, black paint, and dollar store items.
Since my kids are too old for Halloween, I don’t go all out for Halloween decorations anymore. So this year, I’ve been trying my best to use what we have to decorate for the ghoulish season. And when I saw this post from Earnest Home Co., I knew I had to make one with the leftover branches I had from DIY Branch Tree project.
DIY Halloween Black Twig Wreath Supplies
- Twigs – Cut branches off your trees or gather branches from the ground. Try to look for branches that are about 10″ – 12″ inches long for the base and use shorter branches to fill in the wreath.
- Hot glue/glue gun – Use hot glue to quickly set the branches into place.
- Black spray paint – Once the branches are set into a wreath shape, spray paint them black.
- Various Halloween decorations – I used Dollar Store items to add a bit of Halloween spook to the wreath. I used red roses, black netting, and crows. It would also be fun to decorate the wreath with spiders…eww!
- Cardboard box or newspaper – Before spray painting, you’ll need something to lay the wreath onto. I used butcher paper, but newspaper or an old cardboard box would be good too.
Twig Wreath Base
- Twigs (8" to 10" long)
- Black matte spray paint
- Glue gun and glue sticks
Optional Decorative Items
- Black gauze netting
- Red faux roses
- Black birds
- Use the most sturdy sticks to create the base of the wreath and glue the ends together to create a hexagon shape. If your sticks are shorter, a heptagon shape would also work to create a roundish shape.
- Continue to place and glue twigs onto the base form to create a round wreath shape. Don’t worry about making it perfect…you want this to look a little haphazard. When you get the look you like, it’s time to paint the wreath.
- Place the wreath on a covered area and spray with black paint. Let dry. Repeat until all the branches are painted black.
- If you like a plain and simple look, stop here and hang it! Note: A black ribbon or twine may need to be added for hanging.
- If you want to embellish the wreath further, hot glue on black netting, roses, and a few birds for interest. I can’t decide if I like it better plain or embellished? Which version do you like?
To make the wreath look thicker, keep adding more twigs till you get the look you like.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Hawesome Artificial Flowers 10 PCS Silk Roses with Long Stems Faux Realistic Roses for Wedding Bouquets Table Centerpieces Party Home Decor(Red)
Prextex Halloween Black Feathered Small Crows – 6 Pc Black Birds Ravens Props Décor Halloween Decorations Birds
Pangda Halloween Large Size Creepy Cloth Party Decor Drape Doorways Entryways Windows Cover Gauze Creepy Spooky Halloween Decorations
Rust-Oleum 249127 Painter's Touch 2X Ultra Cover, 12 Oz, Flat Black