Corned Beef Patties are a tasty lunch and dinner favorite in Hawaii okazuya shops. Learn how you can make your own corn beef patties right at home!
This post contains affiliate links. Purchasing through these links may result in a small earnings. Thank you!
If you’ve been to some of the famous Hawaii Okazuya plate lunch places (sadly many have closed), you’ll know that Corned Beef Patties are one of the regular items on the menu. I’m not really sure how it ended up being such a popular island food, but I do remember my grandmother making this for our lunch boxes and loving it. The patties can be eaten for breakfast with eggs and rice, for lunch with a mac salad, or for dinner with some salad. Really, Corned Beef Patties are great at any time of the day.
How to Make Corned Beef Patties
Step 1. Boil potatoes and dice the potatoes into small cubes. Set the potatoes aside and heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
Prepare Corned Beef Mixture
Step 2. Add the corned beef into a large bowl and smash with fork or spoon.
Step 3. Add the diced potatoes, chopped green onions, eggs, and spices. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
Normally, I would use finely minced onions, but my oldest son hates the texture of onions, so I substitute onion powder in its place.
Cooking the Corned Beef Patties
Step 4. In a shallow bowl, add flour and dust both hands with it. Take about 1/4 cup of the corned beef mix and shape into a large ball, adding more flour to your hands if needed. Roll the ball in the flour and flatten into a 3″ round patty. Dust off any flour.
Step 5. Add the patties to the hot pan and cook until golden brown on each side. Place cooked patties on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any excess oil. The patties should have a nice crispy outside with a soft moist inside.
Step 6. Serve corned beef patties with rice and top patties with ketchup and garnish with chopped green onions. Enjoy!
- 2 cans corned beef
- 4 cups cooked diced potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon onion powder (substitute with 1/2 cup finely chopped onions)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup oil
- Place a large pot of water over medium high heat. Add about 6 - 7 small/medium peeled potatoes that are chopped in half into the water. Cook for approximately 15 - 20 minutes or until potatoes are just fork tender. Drain and let potatoes cool for 10 minutes. Dice potatoes into 1/4" - 3/8" cubes. Set aside.
- Preheat 1/4 cup of oil over medium heat in a large pan. While the pan is heating, add the corned beef to a large bowl and break apart with a fork. Add diced potatoes, mixed eggs, green onions, onion powder, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Place flour in a shallow bowl or plate. Dust hands with flour. Take approximately 1/4 cup of the corned beef mix and shape into a ball. Roll ball in the flour and shape into 3" round flat patties. Dust off excess flour and place in pan. Cook until browned, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Line a plate with paper towels. Place cooked patties on a plate with paper towels to drain. Serve with ketchup.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
Amazon Brand - Presto! Flex-a-Size Paper Towels, Huge Roll, 12 Count = 30 Regular Rolls
12" Stone Earth Frying Pan by Ozeri, with 100% APEO & PFOA-Free Stone-Derived Non-Stick Coating from Germany
Superior Glass Mixing Bowls with Lids - 8 Piece Mixing Bowl Set with BPA- Free lids, Space Saving Nesting Bowls
Color Mixing Bowls with Lids - 12 Piece Plastic Nesting Bowls , Microwave Safe
Good Cook 3-Piece Mixing Spoons Set
Cuisinart 6-Quart. Stockpot w/Cover, Stainless Steel