When I was younger, my uncle and aunt owned a French restaurant, Le Bon, in Hawaii. During the day, my grandfather would help clean the restaurant and I would often tag along. I have fond memories of hanging out in the restaurant office with my two cousins, banging on the restaurant piano, and serving ourselves soda from behind the bar. But that wasn’t the best part of hanging out at the restaurant. The best part was being able to eat some of the great food. If we were lucky, my uncle would let us eat some of the desserts, like chocolate mousse!
For years, I thought making chocolate mousse was difficult. I mean, it was served in my uncle and aunt’s fancy French restaurant, so there had to be some special equipment involved or some long process…right? So all these years, I’ve been depriving myself of one of my favorite desserts because I thought it was too much fuss to make – I like things simple :-). Boy, was I so very wrong! In fact, making chocolate mousse is so easy that my 10 year old daughter can make it all on her own. So are you ready to learn how to make this light and creamy chocolate dessert?
Chocolate Mousse Recipe
First, sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let stand for 2 minutes. Then, add boiling water and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Set this aside.
Now, in a slightly smaller bowl than the ice cube bowl, add sugar, cocoa powder, heavy cream, and vanilla.
- Sugar can be cut in half if you prefer a less sweet dessert or are serving in large bowls/cups.
- If using full amount of sugar, keep serving portions small. A 4-6 oz. serving size is very rich and sweet. It can also be layered with tart fruit like strawberries to cut some of the sweetness.
Place the mousse mix bowl into the ice bowl. Start mixing on high-speed until stiff peaks form in the mix. This will take several minutes, so don’t rush this part. Once the mousse has stiff peaks, spoon or pipe into small 5 oz. dessert cups – this dessert is very sweet and a small amount is enough.
- Piping the mousse into your dessert cups makes a cleaner presentation. If you don’t have a piping bag/tip, just fill a Ziplock bag with the mousse and cut off a corner to pipe the mousse into the dessert cups.
- The mousse and whipped cream can be layered in the dessert cups for a striped effect.
Use the same ice bowl technique when preparing the whipped cream topping. Pipe onto the top of the mousse and top with mini chocolate chips. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- If you’re having a party, this can be prepared the day before. Add the whipped cream, chocolate chips, and if using fresh fruit toppings right before serving.
- 1 Envelope unflavored Gelatin
- 2 T. cold water
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 T. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- optional - mini chocolate chips
- In a bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water andlet stand 2 minutes to soften. Add boiling water and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add sugar, cocoa, whipping cream, and vanilla. Beat on high speed until the mixture begins to become thick. Pour in gelatin mixture and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Spoon into dessert cups or place mousse in piping bag and pipe into dessert cups. Place into the refrigerator while the topping is prepared
- In a large bowl, add heavy whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla. Whip on high until stiff peaks form.
- Place whipped cream into a piping bag and pipe onto the top of the mousse.
- Optional - Sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- This is a very rich and sweet dessert, so keep serving sizes small.
- Sugar can be cut down to 3/4 cup or even 1/2 cup for those that prefer a less sweet dessert.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support.
5 oz - 50 Cups - Disposable Appetizer Cups
Cuisinart HM-90S Power Advantage Plus 9-Speed Handheld Mixer with Storage Case
Knox Gelatin Mix, Unflavored, 1 oz (Pack of 4) - with Measuring Spoon
Heat Resistant Silicone Spatulas Set for Nonstick Cookware
Superior Glass Mixing Bowls with Lids - 8 Piece Mixing Bowl Set with BPA- Free lids, Space Saving Nesting Bowls