Alright, are you ready for an oldie, but a goodie treat? It’s a fast and easy treat that many moms like to make, most kids have had it, and it’s always a hit. Can you guess what it is? Rice krispie treats! I don’t know about you, but a pan of rice krispie treats doesn’t last more than two days in our house (how long does it last in your house?). It’s one of those treats that you just can’t stop at one 🙂
Now, the basic rice krispie treat consists of three main ingredients – butter, marshmallows, and rice krispie cereal. It’s a fabulous recipe, but I’ve kicked it up a bit and made it gift giving ready by adding chocolate, caramel, and pretzels…YUM!
Chocolate & Caramel Pretzel Rice Krispies Treats
Using a large pot, melt butter, caramel, and cream on medium low heat. Continuously mix until all of the caramel* is melted. Add in the marshmallows (I used 10 jumbo marshmallows) and stir until all the marshmallows are melted. Stir in the rice cereal and mix well until well coated. Scoop out the mix and place into a greased 9″ x 13″ pan.
*The caramel adds a subtle flavor to the treat and helps to make the rice bars a bit stiffer.
While the rice cereal is cooling, prepare the chocolate topping. Melt the chocolate in a glass bowl over boiling water. Stir until all the chocolate is melted and spread it over the rice cereal. While the chocolate is still warm, sprinkle the crushed pretzels over it.
To prep the caramel drizzle, melt 12 pieces of caramel candy and cream in a pot on medium-low heat. Stir until the candies are melted and drizzle this over the pretzels. The drizzle may seem runny, but it will soft set when cooled. If you want another layer of color, melt white chocolate and drizzle this over the top (I omitted the white chocolate this time).
I love the subtle flavor of caramel and the saltiness of the pretzels in this updated version of the classic rice kripsies treat. Plus, it looks pretty too, which makes it a great food gift. Just cut into 24 squares and place them into large cupcake liners for a nice presentation or leave them in a pretty glass pan.
Notes for the recipe below: I use 10 jumbo sized marshmallows and 7 cups of rice cereal for this recipe because it tends to be less sticky. I also like to use actual caramel candies for the topping instead of the caramel chips because it’s a great way to use up the candies.
- 1 bag caramel candies (Use 30 pieces)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 10oz marshmallows (about 40 regular size marshmallows or 10 jumbo sized)
- 6 1/2 - 7 cups rice krispies
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- caramel candies (Use 12 pieces or use 3/4 cup melted caramel chips)
- 2 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1/2 cup smashed pretzels (use a heaping 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cups white chocolate chips (optional for added color)
- Spray a 9" x 13" pan with cooking spray. Set aside. Put butter, caramel, and cream in a large pot on medium low heat. Keep stirring until the caramel is completely melted.
- Add the marshmallows to the caramel mixture and stir until all the marshmallows are melted. Next, add in the rice cereal and stir until well coated.
- Scoop mixture into the 9" x 13" pan. Level the surface by gently pressing it into the pan using a wax paper sprayed with cooking spray. Set this aside and prepare the topping mix.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a glass bowl over boiling water. When completely melted, spread over the rice krispies treats. Sprinkle the crushed pretzels over the chocolate.
- In a pot on medium low heat, add 2 tablespoons of cream and 12 pieces of caramel. Continuously stir until the caramel is melted. Drizzle melted caramel mix over the pretzels. ***You can substitute caramel chips and melt in the same manor as the chocolate chips.***
- If you want to add another layer of color, melt 1 cup of white chocolate in the same manor as the chocolate chips and drizzle over the rice krispies treats. Cut into 24 serving pieces and serve.