One of my family’s favorite things to do is to eat Korean barbecue. While the highlight is definitely the grilled meats, we also enjoy the banchan (side dishes) too. And one of my family’s favorite side dish is a broccoli and crab salad.
This broccoli and crab salad isn’t a traditional Korean banchan, but it’s often served at some of the local Korean barbecue restaurants in the area. It’s a super simple dish and is probably made for those that prefer less spicy items. Whatever the reason, my kids love it and will gobble it up each time it’s served.
Broccoli and Crab Salad
- In a large pot, bring a water to a boil.
- While waiting for the water to boil, cut the broccoli florets into small 3/4″ x 1/2″ bite size pieces (about the size of your fingertip).
- In another bowl, add cold water and set aside.
[click_to_tweet tweet=”Simple side dish – Broccoli and Imitation Crab Salad Recipe in 30 minutes. #recipe #broccoli #crabsalad” quote=”Quick-n-easy broccoli and imitation crab salad in 30-minutes.”]
When the water is boiling, add the cut broccoli florets and cook for about 40-50 seconds or just until cooked, but still crunchy. Scoop the broccoli out of the boiling water and add to the bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process. Strain the broccoli and set aside. While the broccoli is straining, slice/chop up the imitation crab sticks.
Mix together the broccoli, crab, and mayonnaise. Then, add salt and pepper to taste.
The mayonnaise will be just enough to lightly coat the salad and should not be a thick dressing. You will see bit of watery milky mayonnaise at the bottom of the bowl and that’s ok!
I prefer this broccoli and crab salad chilled, but it can be served immediately after prepared. Enjoy!
Broccoli and imitation crab salad for a simple side dish.
- 3 heaping cups cut broccoli florets - cut into 3/4" x 1/2" bite size pieces
- 4 sticks chopped imitation crab - cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Prep - In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Cut broccoli florets into small 3/4" x 1/2" pieces. Chop imitation crab sticks into thin slices and set aside. Add cold water into a large bowl. Set aside.
Add the broccoli into the water and cook for about 40 - 50 seconds or just until the broccoli is cooked. Scoop broccoli out and immediately immerse in cold water. Strain in a colander and remove as much water as possible.
While the broccoli is straining, chop the imitation crab sticks into thin slices. In a bowl, mix together the broccoli, chopped imitation crab, and mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve or chill for several hours/overnight before serving.
- The salad will not have a thick mayonnaise dressing, but will be a thin dressing once mixed with the ingredients.
- Salad is best chilled, but can be served warm.
- Thin sliced broccoli stems can also be added to the salad to make up the 3 cups of broccoli needed.