Tired of fried chicken and want something new? Try this baked chicken with vegetable sauce for a flavor bomb in your mouth!
Here’s another recipe that I found in my mom’s recipe box and I’ll be honest, I wasn’t sure about this one. I even showed the recipe to my kids, who are teens, and they even shook their heads and didn’t want me to make it. Thank goodness, I didn’t listen because this is delicious and even won over my finicky kids! Son 1, who is probably the pickiest, said this reminded him of Thanksgiving stuffing. So if you like stuffing, this would be a great recipe to try.
Now, I did make a few changes to the original recipe. The original recipe called for canned mushrooms, plain bread crumbs, and didn’t include bell peppers. I decided to use fresh mushrooms because fresh is always better. I also added bell peppers since we grow them in our garden. And finally, I used seasoned bread crumbs because it helps add more flavor to the chicken without going overboard.Try this baked chicken with vegetable sauce for a burst of flavor in your mouth.
Baked Chicken with Vegetable Sauce
- 1/2 cup - seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. - kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. - ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 - 3 lb. - chicken thighs
- cooking spray
- 1 small carton - fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup - unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup - onion, minced
- 1/2 cup - carrot, fine diced
- 1/2 cup - bell pepper, minced
- 1 1/2 cup - chicken broth
- pinch kosher salt + pepper
- 1 T. - cornstarch
- 3 T. - water
- 1/4 cup - chopped parsley (optional)
- Prep: Heat oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. If lining with foil, spray with cooking oil. Set aside. Mix together cornstarch and 3T. water. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine bread crumbs, salt, and black pepper. Coat each chicken with bread crumb mixture and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle any remaining bread crumb mixture over the chicken. Lightly spray each chicken with cooking spray. Bake chicken for 30-35 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- While the chicken is baking, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, bell peppers, and mushrooms. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken broth. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Add cornstarch mixture. Stir till slightly thickened and cook another 4-5 minutes.
- To serve, place vegetable sauce over baked chicken and garnish with parsley (optional). Eat immediately. Note: If you want to keep the chicken crust crispy, plate vegetable sauce first and place chicken on top.
- Do not use table salt as it will be too salty.
- I prefer parchment paper as the chicken does not stick.
It is not like a dish I have seen before however, it looks yummy! Sometimes the ones you are unsure of making the best dishes!
Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday 🙂
This recipe looks so flavorful!! Too funny that you were hesitant to try it and then loved it. I guess mom knows best and you should keep trying more recipes in her box! 🙂
Hi Carrie, Yes, this recipe is so delicious. The light crust on the chicken is just enough to soak up the vegetable sauce so it tastes like stuffing. So good!