I’ve paired up with a group of talented ladies to bring you a monthly Thrift Store Decor Upcycle Challenge. Each month we will create a new home decor piece from an item(s) we’ve found at a thrift store, yard sale, resale shop etc. There is no budget or specific theme so we are free to let our creativity run wild! Last time, I shared my DIY Aloha Seashell Sign and this time I’m sharing a simple License Plate Wall Art.
Amanda | The Kolb Corner Chelc| Inside the Fox Den
Erlene | My Pinterventures Kim | Made in a Day Sara | Twelve on Main
Debra | Shoppe No. 5 Shirley | Intelligent Domestications
Marie | DIY Adulation Lindsay | Crazy Organized Michelle | Our Crafty Mom
Julie | Live From Julie’s House Dru | Polka Dot Poplars
Maureen | Red Cottage Chronicles Pili | Sweet Things
Colleen | Life on Kaydeross Creek Ann | Duct Tape and Denim Sherry | Savvy Apron
You can also follow our board on Pinterest for more upcycled decor inspiration!
License Plate Wall Art
This project is sooo simple that I didn’t take a lot of pictures – sorry. But I promise, even without the pictures you’ll be able to make this License Plate Wall Art. This super easy project can be done a day and is a simple way to frame a license plate with little effort.
I’ve been slowly working on a small shelving area in my kitchen/dining room and adding decorative touches that remind me of Hawaii. For my first Thrift Store Upcycle Challenge, I created a DIY Aloha Seashell Sign and hung it above the shelves. Next, I added a DIY Seashell Pineapple Jar, but I still felt like the area needed a little something more. That something extra came when I found this Hawaii license plate and decided to use it for a License Plate Wall Art to finish off the area.
[Tweet “Simple License Plate Wall Art #repurposeit @pinterventures”]
- Wood – scrap from 1″ x 10″ x 6′ wood
- License plate
- paint – I used Apple Barrel Red Flag
- paint brush
- baking soda (optional)
- sawtooth picture hangers
- wood stain – I used Danish oil
- clear acrylic spray
- Measure and cut the wood piece to measure 9.25″ x 14″.
- Sand any rough edges.
- Mix 1/4 cup paint and 1/8 cup baking soda to make a homemade chalk paint – add a tiny bit of water if too thick. You can skip this and use the paint as is, but I wanted the rough look of chalk paint. Use this paint to paint the wood piece. Let dry.
- Sand the edges of the painted wood piece to ‘weather’ it.
- Spray the entire piece with clear acrylic. Let dry.
- Screw on the license plate to the front of the wood piece (I may change this out to prettier nail heads).
- Add sawtooth hangers to the back of the wood piece.
- Hang it up!
And there you have an easy License Plate Wall Art!
Be sure to check out all of the other creative upcycle projects my fellow bloggers have come up with!
Find more repurpose ideas on my DIY: recycle, repurpose, and reuse it Pinterest Board