Before Pinterest, I would’ve probably thrown this old Ikea stool out and bought a new one. Sad…I know, but true. The thought to revive an old Ikea stool would’ve probably never entered my mind. However, now that I’ve been shown the error of my ways, I’ve started to look at things I would’ve normally tossed out in new ways. I think we’ve had this Ikea stool for almost 10 years and as you can see from the before pictures, its seen better days.
This old Ikea stool was made of plywood and needed some repair. Before I started sanding and painting, I needed to glue the edges of the legs together with some wood glue. Once that was done, it was a really easy project to makeover this old Ikea stool.
Ikea Stool Makeover Supplies:
- sand paper (P80)
- palm sander
- painter’s tape
- tack cloth
- news paper
- spray paint (black & white)
- Sharpie black paint pen
- semi-gloss clear sealant
Ikea Stool Makeover
1. If your stool needs repair, do so before you start to paint or sand. If your stool is in good condition, you can skip this step.
* I needed to repair the plywood on my stool with some wood glue. *
2. Sand all the paint or finish off the stool. Do both the top and the underside of the stool.
3. Wipe down the stool with a tack cloth to make sure you get rid of all the dust.
4. Spray the stool with a coat of paint. If you feel the wood grain rise, do another light sanding, wipe down with your tack cloth, and spray paint again. Do two or three coats until you get the desired coverage you want.
5. Tape your desired design on stool. Take newspaper and cover areas you don’t want over spray on. Spray with white paint.
6. Remove tape. Touch up any rough edges with the black Sharpie paint pen. Finish with a clear sealant.
There you have it. A super quick and easy way to makeover and revive an old Ikea stool.